cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route for pulling a Travel Trailer from ND to AZ

rlyons
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for the best winter route for pulling a travel trailer from Lincoln NB through to Mesa AZ. I will be trying to watch the weather as I travel from Winnipeg, MB straight South to NB but am not sure which is the best route from Lincoln NB to Mesa for winter weather and road conditions.
rthomaslyons
9 REPLIES 9

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Hell, one year I ran into 12 inches of snow in OKC on I-35. I'd take the most direct route with an eye on the weather.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend the southernmost route even if it's longer. Monitor the weather as you're traveling and be prepared to make changes. Any of the 3 routes mentioned 'can' be hazardous in winter. You just never know until you start to head out. Be Flexible!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

runner_one
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
can get iffy in the winter

That is what I was referring to. Although all those routes are good roads. Pulling a trailer through some of those passes in winter conditions could try the skill of inexperienced tow drivers.

You have to admit that even an interstate can get dodgy for towing in winter.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
rlyons wrote:
I'm looking for the best winter route for pulling a travel trailer from Lincoln NB through to Mesa AZ. I will be trying to watch the weather as I travel from Winnipeg, MB straight South to NB but am not sure which is the best route from Lincoln NB to Mesa for winter weather and road conditions.

"Best" is always subjective, depending on what criteria is important to you. "Best" to avoid weather issues would likely be the 3rd one suggested above. "Best" for making good time and getting there quickly, may be the 1st one suggested.

Not sure what elevations/steepness he was referring to, as the highest point would be Raton Pass at ~7600 feet. It's a bit of a climb and decline, and can get iffy in the winter, but it's well maintained, and is a major N/S route. Once into NM, I don't recall anything that would remotely be considered a challenge for steepness on the route proposed, staying on I-25 to I-40. It is, however, pretty open and subject to the whims of nature. If you're a weather watcher, you'll likely know what is the best route when you actually get ready to leave.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
runner_one wrote:
Well if you just google it you get this route.

What you dont see here is that there is some pretty high altitudes and steep grades along the section between La Junta, CO and Albuquerque. I know, I have driven it. So I think I would avoid that.

This, might be a good second choice, there are few steep hills and curves on that route. I have driven most of it too. But the section between Holbrook and Mesa can be dodgy in winter.

But if you are really concerned about weather and possible snow problems This would be the absolute best route to avoid snow and steep roads.

If I was worried about driving in bad weather at all this would be the route I would take, plus, you get to see more of the country.

The only thing I would add would be weather permitting go to his first Google map link and choose the US 54 W and I-40 option. Should be a four to five day trip and check the 5 day weather forecasts along the route. In New Mexico overnight at Tucumcari and again in Gallup
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
OOPS
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Moved from Forum Technical Support

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, no! Google maps is broken!!!!

runner_one
Explorer
Explorer
Well if you just google it you get this route.

What you dont see here is that there is some pretty high altitudes and steep grades along the section between La Junta, CO and Albuquerque. I know, I have driven it. So I think I would avoid that.

This, might be a good second choice, there are few steep hills and curves on that route. I have driven most of it too. But the section between Holbrook and Mesa can be dodgy in winter.

But if you are really concerned about weather and possible snow problems This would be the absolute best route to avoid snow and steep roads.

If I was worried about driving in bad weather at all this would be the route I would take, plus, you get to see more of the country.