cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route to Bellingham, WA from Indianapolis, IN

Tsquared
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip to Bellingham, WA from Indy. I have a 30ft travel trailer. Is I90 or I80 the better way to go. Concerned about how tough the mountains are in I90 and also it I will see better fuel mileage on I80. Also wondered about road construction on thes 2 routes.
Thanks
Tsquared
6 REPLIES 6

SH
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
WA20 is a scenic way of bypassing the Seattle area, but is a higher pass.

Beautiful drive! If you have the time to go this northern route it's hard to beat the scenery! Lots of things to see especially for a first-timer. SR20 will join I5 at Burlington about 30 miles south of Bellingham. A nice way to avoid Seattle I5. The last time we towed I5 coming home it took almost 3 hours from Tacoma to Marysville (67 miles) just because of traffic. :E
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo 🙂

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Portland last year via Great Falls and Missoula. We used all kinds of roads from Indiana to there, but if you are in a hurry I suggest I-74,I-80,I-29,I-90.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think it makes a big difference. I94 (and 90) is the shortest route between Chicago and Seattle. But on a 4-6 day trip a few hours driving time doesn't matter much.

The final pass over the Cascades will be as noticeable as the ones in Montana/Idaho. Not has high, but Seattle is at sea level, and the Columbia River crossing nearly so.

WA20 is a scenic way of bypassing the Seattle area, but is a higher pass.

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I like to take I 80 MPG will depend a lot on the wind !!

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go I-90 - it's a more direct route. The worst of the mountains will be in western Montana and Idaho, and on the interstates they won't be very bad (and will be very beautiful). And anything you can do to get around Seattle will be a very good thing. As with any big city (and especially Seattle), timing is everything - avoid rush hours like the plague.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both are fine. If you take I80/I84 just west of Pendelton,OR cut north on I82 to I90 into Seattle area. From there it is only an hour and a half to Bellingham.