cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Trip Planner?

samuraitowd
Explorer
Explorer
I have been researching trip planners. There are several IOS apps, the Good Sam planner (lapsed member so cannot check it), google trips, RV Trip Wizard, etc that I've looked at and none seem to provide this basic feature:

If I plan to travel between Point A and Point B but will stop for lunch for 1.5 hours in between, how do I plug in that layover to plan my arrival time at Point B?

I have not seen that offered in any of the above apps. For instance, I looked at the RV trip Wizard Demo Stop Details screen and it only gives you the option to stop in days.

Other apps also only calculate driving time but not total travel time.

What trip planner allows you to plan real travel time? Am I missing something?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick n Andi

Rexhall American Clipper 29': 2005
Suzuki Samurai; 1994
Jeep Wrangler 2005
28 REPLIES 28

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I get the same results as Farmboy in that I find miles then average 50mph and that seems to almost always work for average travel and pit stops. I also have a dedicated GPS that has an ETA feature that comes in handy when you do an extended stop for an hour or two.

samuraitowd
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
a motivated person with a map.

Lol, that's what I do but I'm also a gadget fan so am always looking for a cool app and am always surprised at how lame they are.

Thanks for the replies.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick n Andi

Rexhall American Clipper 29': 2005
Suzuki Samurai; 1994
Jeep Wrangler 2005

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
I'm with TimandSusan, I may never forgive Garmin for dumping SA.

Furkot
Try this for a FREE Planner (caution, STEEP learning curve, but good instruction if you read them all.

Big draw back, it does not understand ONP at ******. It wants you to go to a campground. But, you can put in anyplace you want and set the duration (all durations are settable) for as long as you want.

I am currently learning this and Copilot RV for enroute navigation.

Man do I miss Street Atlas.

Matt

2X on Street Atlas. First, I was angry with Delorme for dropping the Mac version, but for Garmin to buy them out just to dump the best trip planning software and not use it to replace their Basecamp software (the worst piece of software I've ever found) is a disgrace. On top of that, they shut down the world's largest globe at Delorme's headquarters in Yarmouth, Maine.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
samuraitowd wrote:
I have been researching trip planners. There are several IOS apps, the Good Sam planner (lapsed member so cannot check it), google trips, RV Trip Wizard, etc that I've looked at and none seem to provide this basic feature:

If I plan to travel between Point A and Point B but will stop for lunch for 1.5 hours in between, how do I plug in that layover to plan my arrival time at Point B?

I have not seen that offered in any of the above apps. For instance, I looked at the RV trip Wizard Demo Stop Details screen and it only gives you the option to stop in days.

Other apps also only calculate driving time but not total travel time.

What trip planner allows you to plan real travel time? Am I missing something?
I guess to me it would be real simple. Just add 1 1/2 hours to your previous arrival time.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i mainly use google maps and google earth (google earth to plan fuel stops so i can see the layout of the gas station, pumps etc.)

on the road i use my garmin and wife sometimes pulls out iphone google maps for back up and other info as needed

allstays camp & rv app on my iphone is good to for lp gas locations, gas stations and campgrounds

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with TimandSusan, I may never forgive Garmin for dumping SA.

Furkot
Try this for a FREE Planner (caution, STEEP learning curve, but good instruction if you read them all.

Big draw back, it does not understand ONP at ******. It wants you to go to a campground. But, you can put in anyplace you want and set the duration (all durations are settable) for as long as you want.

I am currently learning this and Copilot RV for enroute navigation.

Man do I miss Street Atlas.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:

Agree! That's all I need and Google Maps.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I still use the old Trailer Life trip planner from Undertow, circa 2011, which will do this.

Wish GS/TL hadn't parted ways with Undertow - it was a great product.

I am with MKC on this one. Of course, I use Google Maps and Google Earth but neither offers the "trip planning" that the Trailer Life program does--I'm thinking of "trip planning" as on my home computer when I am laying out my itinerary.

I haven't found anything to really compare with the Trailer Life/Undertow product.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
I still use the old Trailer Life trip planner from Undertow, circa 2011, which will do this.

Wish GS/TL hadn't parted ways with Undertow - it was a great product.
2017 LTV Unity

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
I use Google maps and make a Exel spread sheet but more for planning which day I'll be where and how much driving time. I don't worry much about stopping for lunch, schedule not that tight. I will say Google is usually wrong on time, I look at the mileage and figure average 50mph. 600 miles = 12 hrs driving and it's usually pretty close.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm using an older version of Streets and Trips and that will work.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
I use an older version of Delorme Street Atlas 2015 and Topo Maps. To bad that Garmin bought DeLorme a few years ago and dumped their best products like the trip planning software. If you can find the software available some where I recommend you buy it, I have found it works great on my laptop for both trip planning and navigation. You will also need the GPS puck or antenna to place on the two vehicle dash board (it plugs into to a USB port on the laptop).
In my discussions with other DeLorme users, they had not found any other product that is available today that does anything like this software. We are still looking!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I've looked at various and I always just come back to Google Maps and plan the time myself.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton