cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black flies in northern Ontario/Quebec

marbar
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know the black fly report for Temiscaming area this week. Heading up to open the cottage this week
8 REPLIES 8

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
Having lived there for 6 summers........ all that's being said is just so true.

Get yerself a hat with mosquito netting or a mosquito netting jacket.

www.veseys.com search term: "bug jacket".

:W

Other possibilities: www.mec.ca or hunt up Land's End, Recreational Equipment, Cabelas...........

X2...that is the only way to really do it!

I have been using the "Original Bug Shirt" (can be found online) for many 20 years and IMHO, they are the best out there.

We've taken many fly-in fishing trips in northern Quebec & Ontario with them and abused the shirts terribly time after time...but they have never let us down.....

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived there for 6 summers........ all that's being said is just so true.

Get yerself a hat with mosquito netting or a mosquito netting jacket.

www.veseys.com search term: "bug jacket".

:W

Other possibilities: www.mec.ca or hunt up Land's End, Recreational Equipment, Cabelas...........
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be a bit of a current problem in Ottawa also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :W
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping north of Quebec City in July several years ago, with a cousin from France. "Les mouches noires" were the worst we've ever seen, even worse than what I experienced at a summer job planting trees in Northern Ontario.

Not sure if the intensity varies from year to year, but I suspect they're always quite bad in Canada's north.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

marbar
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the dishearting news lol we usually open it the first week of May and get out as they start coming. just hoped with the cooler weather and all.... oh well thanks

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Just thankful we do not have black flies in S. Alberta. But, our mosquitos are so big they need prepared landing strips. And, that is the only reason we do not have a mosquito problem either. ๐Ÿ™‚

tractorboy30
Explorer
Explorer
I would say yes with that one LOL
Frank

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Bad Bad Bad

When aren't they BAD in late May and June???
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L