JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
Open or closesd ???
8 REPLIES 8

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
BRP is open - we live at the base of the parkway near Afton Virginia. Skyline Drive is closed. There are no amenities open on the parkway. Plan your gas stops strategically and carry some water so you can use your toilet enroute and you'll be fine. It is incredibly pretty right now. I drive over the parkway going to work and coming home every day, and I love the view.
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
NanciL wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Yes you can drive on it. But will have to get off for restrooms, and gas. Hey wait. That's pretty normal. No gas stations on the BRP anyway.
However, the tourist places like Cone Mansion, and Price Park, will be closed. But that's not the reason to ride the parkway any way. They can't close nature. The trees are still open. As well as the trails off the overlooks.

Price Lake is open. My daughter who lives in Boone was kayaking on it the other day.

Jack L

WAs talking about the day park, and concessions. Did she rent a kayak, or bring her own?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
Yes you can drive on it. But will have to get off for restrooms, and gas. Hey wait. That's pretty normal. No gas stations on the BRP anyway.
However, the tourist places like Cone Mansion, and Price Park, will be closed. But that's not the reason to ride the parkway any way. They can't close nature. The trees are still open. As well as the trails off the overlooks.

Price Lake is open. My daughter who lives in Boone was kayaking on it the other day.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
I know that Skyline Drive is closed, cannot get on at all. We have reservations there 2 weeks from this Friday. Sure hope it is back open before then. Neighbor drove up to Gettysburg over the weekend, they had all the pull-offs for the batlle fields coned off.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Open, but with no facilities. See my post about a short section closed at Asheville.

Jim, "Only the mediocre are always at their best."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did this yesterday for another post asking same question...

"A quick search on GOOGLE Newsplex.com says: "Oct. 1, 2013 Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park in Virginia are closed because of the federal government shutdown. You can't drive on the scenic road nor visit the park until the government resumes operations. The Blue Ridge Parkway is open, but just for traffic. There are no amenities available at this time. Even the National Park Service website for the park has been shut down." ...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to Roads and Routes

Moderator- TT's

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti