cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Books to have?

tjschaefer
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot the name of the other must have book to purchase. I know one is the Milepost but the other one slips my mind. I know it's authored by the Church's but I don't know the title?
8 REPLIES 8

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
I drove with my 21 foot travel trailer, crossing into Canada by Milk River through BC, Yukon and into Alaska this summer. Churches book was very helpful. I also recommend their Pacific Northwest campbook for BC,and Washington.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our way south in BC from our trip and the Milepost was most helpful. Alaska camping by the Church's was secondary for us but still helpful and RV Park reviews to get current opinions on places to stop.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The 'Milepost' is great for history and maps.

Mike & Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada and the Yukon is the only reference you'll need for public campgrounds, RV parks and great boondocking spots. They lived in Fairbanks and traveled back and forth many times so they know the places to stop. As always, places close every year, so it's hard to keep updated but they are pretty much right on.

The last thing you'll need to purchase is the TourSaver 2/1 Coupon Book (online). One glacier cruise will pay for the book and you'll want to do at least one.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts:

- It's an advertising vehicle, but IMNSHO the Milepost is worth having;
- For your interests, the Alaska Atlas (IIRC), the oversize book with lots of maps, might be beneficial.
- There is a book entitled "Alaska River Guide" or similar: worthwhile, but much of the info can be found by searching the web for the same title.
- 55 Ways to the Wilderness in Southcentral Alaska;
- For general info, the State of Alaska has a variety of info on their website(s) that is beneficial.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

tjschaefer
Explorer
Explorer
This June I am going to Alaska for 2 months, so I was looking for Alaska information.

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
You only have to go to Amazon, type in Alaska Chruches, and like magic up pops the Churches Alaska Camping book. Isn't technology great, what did we do without it ?
I wouldn't waste my money on any except the Churches book.

Alaska Camping
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There is also a video by the Howens on traveling in Alaska
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking for books and info on just Alaskan travel or travel in general.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's