cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing a rifle into the USA

Canadian_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of information regarding importing a gun into Canada.

However, what are the regulations for a Canadian wanting to bring a rifle from Canada into Alaska and back into Canada, then back into the lower 48 and back again into Canada?

I know about the Canadian paperwork, but can someone point me in the right direction for the US regulations?

Also, on a scale of 1-10, how important is it for us to carry a rifle in Alaska? I'm having mental visions of lions and tigers and bears, oh my! 😉
Denis&Susan
French River, Ontario, Canada
2018 RAM Eco-Diesel 1500, 4 x 4, Crew Cab
2016 Evergreen I-Go Cloud 184RB
12 REPLIES 12

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
There might be an easy way, the 100 plus year exception. If the gun is 100 plus, so grand pappy's old SMLE, or old Mauser 98, or a dandy old British double rifle might well work. Read the ATF website and give yourself time.

Oddly, I do not know the US rules as well as I do a few other countries, sorry I cannot help more.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
To be honest, bringing a firearm into the US is a nightmare, unless it is for hunting and then it is just a bad dream. You will need a hunting license, for the hunting sort of exemption.

Talking with fellow hunters, it is far easier for Americans to get a gun (no pistols or revolvers) into many foreign countries than the reverse.

South Africa, Zimbabwe, Canada in the old days no problem, just fill out the forms. But, the US, no way. Three months sounds about right.

You might be able to buy a firearm from a pawn shop and then sell it back on your way out. A citizen of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, that worked for me had a green card (which isn't green) and it was legal for him to buy a firearm in Maryland. Not sure if you are just visiting.

More to the point, if you have the gun, can you make the shot? A wounded animal is dangerous to everyone.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
memtb wrote:
Firearms are rairly needed for protection from Ursus horribilis..... Homo erectus, now that's a distinct possibility! :B memtb

Maybe true, but not an acceptable reason to take a firearm either way -- as I'm sure you know.

Spot on Cal, I prefer claymores, requires less hand/eye coordination! 😉 memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
deadeye1 wrote:
If you bring a gun into the US make sure you stop at Canadian Customs and have them fill in a form for temporary export that you have the gun with you. If not you will have fun on the return to Canada.

It's the same for an American going to Canada. Stop at US Customs first and register the guns with them. Makes it much easier on the return to the USA!
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Firearms are rairly needed for protection from Ursus horribilis..... Homo erectus, now that's a distinct possibility! :B memtb

Maybe true, but not an acceptable reason to take a firearm either way -- as I'm sure you know.
Cal

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

deadeye1
Explorer
Explorer
If you bring a gun into the US make sure you stop at Canadian Customs and have them fill in a form for temporary export that you have the gun with you. If not you will have fun on the return to Canada.

millerak49
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a rifle in Alaska if you are not going hunting. You could get some bear spray in Alaska if you feel you need it.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at form 5330-3D from the US Department of Justice:
Temporary Importation of Firearms and Ammunition by Nonimmigrant Aliens

Read their FAQs at https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/nonimmigrant-aliens

Here's one of the Questions that is relevant:
Do nonimmigrant aliens need to obtain a permit to temporarily import firearms into the United States for hunting or other lawful sporting purposes?
Yes. All nonimmigrant aliens (with a few exceptions) must obtain an import permit from ATF to temporarily import firearms and ammunition for hunting or other lawful sporting purposes. Please note this requirement applies to all nonimmigrant aliens.
The form to be filed with ATF is an ATF Form 6 NIA (5330.3D) (Application/Permit for Temporary Importation of Firearms and Ammunition by Nonimmigrant Aliens) with documentation demonstrating that you fall within an exception to the nonimmigrant alien prohibition. The form is both the application and, once approved, the permit you present to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection when you enter the United States. The Form 6 NIA can be downloaded at www.atf.gov.

In 2010, the Department told me to allow at least three months for the application to be processed by Washington.

We have NEVER needed a firearm for protection while camping. We keep a clean camp, including not leaving anything out that could attract a bear or other wildlife. We travel with a BBQ, but only use it after we've checked around the campsite for bear sign or signs of other wildlife. If we see bear poo, then we don't barbeque. 😄
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Good question. I'm interested in the answer.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I doubt Alaska has any regs.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper