Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffalo to Disneyworld

Ems142
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I am going to be driving to WDW pulling a 35 ft fifth wheel. Any suggestions on driving directions or good stopping points? Maybe a campground/Walmart about half way as a stopping point?

Also would like to see where trailer friendly diesel fuel stops are.

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Eycom has told you the shortest route from Buffalo to Disney world. We travel that same route from Pittsburgh every year. The Wytheville, VA area where I 81 and I 77 are the same route there are tow Flying J's and also the cheapest fuel in the area, next fuel stop for us is just south of Charlotte in SC there is another Flying J. the next stop is usually at either exit 3 or 1 on I 95 in GA. Fuel around Orlando is not to bad, there are Hess gas stations on Disney Property that sell for the same price as anywhere else and they are RV friendly. Of course Hess was recently sold so the stations may be changing names. We usually stop at one of tow places between Pittsburgh and Disney, on I 26 around Orangeburg SC there is a little CG called Sweetwater Lake, no amenities but the price is right. OR we like to stop at Green acres on I 95 close to Hardeeville SC, around mile marker 56. Both CG's have lots of pull throughs. I try to avoid I 95 as much as possible, parts of the road in NC and SC will shake the fillings out of your teeth and the traffic is flying and very RUDE. FYI don't go through Charlotte at rush hours, Pittsburgh area can also be a challenge at rush hours, Charlotte definitely is!
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Eycom wrote:
P.S. From Buffalo, there ain't no way I'd come down to Florida on I-95 thru the N.E. I made the trip north on I-95 from NC to Buffalo... once... LOL.
I agree - you're far enough inland so that you can select alternate routes down at least as far as southern South Carolina - eg., US 15 south through the middle of PA, I81 at Harrisburg and south on it till you can pick up I-26, and then I-26 into SC and then you still have a couple of options. There is no reason to pick up I-95 any sooner than that. It's not like you'd miss any scenery.. 🙂
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

JohnDoe
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.findfuelstops.com/truck-stop-on-I-95

Wonder why this didn,t post Location of Truck Stops

JohnDoe
Explorer
Explorer
Go this site for all Truck stops on I 95 from Main to Florida> are any interstate in the U S

<><><><><

At Exit 105 in North Carolina is a Truck stop with Electrical hook ups for a R V for 10 dollars a night and Cable a dollar a hour, I believe time you get that far you will be ready to pull it over and park it for the night, if your going to pick up 81 in Pa look at your Map and you will see a route 17 at Winchester Va taking you over to I 95 and you miss Washington D C

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
workhardplayharder wrote:
I always tell people who are camping at Disney to take DVD's. Disney does have cable. The channels are- The Disney Channel, Disney Channel, This is Disney, All about Disney, Wonderful Disney, Things to do at Disney, Mickey's Channel............

When we were there in Mar/Apr this year, we got 87 channels (75 digital and 12 analog) on there cable. All the major networks, plus cable networks such as US. and the host of Disney channels.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
workhardplayharder wrote:
I always tell people who are camping at Disney to take DVD's. Disney does have cable. The channels are- The Disney Channel, Disney Channel, This is Disney, All about Disney, Wonderful Disney, Things to do at Disney, Mickey's Channel............

Cool. Thanks.
Tow Vehicle
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Note - if you want to stay free, South of the Border's truck stop is likely a possibility. But, they also have an inexpensive campground that is good for overnighting (or so I've read).

We stayed at Whispering Pines RV Park in Rincon, GA on our way home this year. Nice place - about 8-10 miles off of the highway, but a pretty straight shot if you follow their signs and not my stupid GPS. The site was a pull-thru and incredibly level. Office was closed when we got there, but they had an after-hours drop money in an envelope that worked just fine.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
I've made the trip up to Buffalo from Central Florida many times on business. Taking the I-90 to I-79 south, exit 57 in WV, take US 19 south to Beckley and I-77 S. You'll find that Charlotte, NC is just a tad over half way @ 659/mi. I'd get through Charlotte into S.C. to select an overnight spot.

Just south of the NC/SC state line at Exit 88 in SC, there's the Charlotte/Ft. Mill KOA if you need FHUs and during the summer, you'll need air conditioning. Easy on and off the Interstate. A little further south at the Dave Lyle Blvd exit, there's a Walmart I've dry-camped at, about a mile east of the Interstate. Continuing south on I-77, you'll find a FlyingJ at Exit 73 that's good for an overnight. A great alternative to the KOA is Ebenezer Park administered by York County. Ebenezer is close to 5 miles off the big road in the northern part of Rock Hill. First come, first served, it's popular with the locals and your arrival should be planned for Sun-Thur. Mentioned due to camping prices in the area.

Fuel prices will be cheaper at the Indian Reservation in Silver Creek, NY., Wytheville, Va., and S.C. Enjoy your trip.

P.S. From Buffalo, there ain't no way I'd come down to Florida on I-95 thru the N.E. I made the trip north on I-95 from NC to Buffalo... once... LOL.
RVn Full-time

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
Check out that link. It has CG, rest stops, and other goodies.

I believe truck stops are free to stay at. Just talk to them and ask where can you park.
Tow Vehicle
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

Ems142
Explorer
Explorer
Doc,

Sounds about right, it is a long ride but we will be taking a leisurely ride over a couple days. Originally wanted to do it over two days but the more I look into it, I don't think it is going to happen that way. Can you stay at most truck stops for free overnight?

Anybody know of any camp grounds on 95?

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
It is somewhat for me...

S.O.B has a truck stop in the back. My brother is a truck driver and told me he stayed there with no issues. Walmart is a little past SOB, that is my backup plan if SOB doesn't work out.

O'man I didn't realize buffalo was so far from Md. You have a nice drive ahead of you.

Google is telling me this:
buffalo new york to maryland
6 hours 59 mins

maryland to south carolina
8 hours 9 mins

south carolina to orlando florida
6 hours 21 mins

I always add a couple hours since I'll be driving slower with a TT.

There are state ran rest stops (can probably google them) along 95 in most states. As well as, Fly J, and Pilot truck stops are other free places along 95.

Best of luck.

This site is kind of cool.
http://www.i95exitguide.com/restareas/
Tow Vehicle
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

Ems142
Explorer
Explorer
Doc, does south of the boarder allow overnight stays, and is that Walmart stop about half way?

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
Heading down myself and we will be stopping at either South of the Board or the Walmart in SC. Both are right off of 95S.

I already called WM and they said it was ok to spend the night if you park by the grocery market side.

Walmart Supercenter - Details
805 Enterprise Rd
Dillon SC 29536 843-841-9800
Tow Vehicle
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH