cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA to Iowa

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
In June I will be heading to north central Iowa from the Salinas area of CA. I would like to take one route to and another from.

I realize that highways 80 and 90 are the big highways. I plan to stop near Lincoln, Ne.b to visit with some friends.

Any recommendations on routes and GREAT campgrounds would be much appreciated!! Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarshaNichols wrote:
Thom02099 wrote:
There's also a KOA in Laramie WY, it's right off I-80 at the exit for Snowy Range Rd. It's easy to get to, it's a nice clean park. Pull through sites, a little tight, but fine for my 26ft Keystone outback w/slides. We stayed there late last summer, the only problem is the highway noise from I-80. Then again, you hear it ANYWHERE in Laramie!

Thanks! I appreciate the info!

Hey Marsha....one more thing...if you DO decide to stay in Laramie, that's a great location for getting to Lincoln NE without killing yourself with driving. It's a good drive from Laramie to Lincoln, especially once you get to Cheyenne and start heading "downhill"...wind will be at your back for better mileage, and you'll have a gradual decrease in elevation. Win/Win there !

Also, if you have the time, take a day and explore west of Laramie in the Snowy Range. It's as beautiful as Rocky Mountain National Park to the south, with about 1/10th the number of people to contend with. A drop over into Saratoga WY would be a great day trip.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
There's also a KOA in Laramie WY, it's right off I-80 at the exit for Snowy Range Rd. It's easy to get to, it's a nice clean park. Pull through sites, a little tight, but fine for my 26ft Keystone outback w/slides. We stayed there late last summer, the only problem is the highway noise from I-80. Then again, you hear it ANYWHERE in Laramie!

Thanks! I appreciate the info!

delhawk2010
Explorer
Explorer
I steer clear of the Interstates as much as possible. I've used US 30, 40 and 50 on several trips through that part of the country mostly east of Colorado. US 40 looks pretty tough through northern Colorado so I haven't done that one yet, but we did US 50 through southern Colorado and it wasn't too bad as far as hill go. I think there were one or two passes through the mountains that got to 6 or 7000 ft. Some nice places to stay in and around Gunnison. Plot the route on Goggle maps and see what you think. I've stopped in Sydney and the Cabella's is okay. Lots to see in KS, NE, and Iowa.

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
If you get over towards the eastern half of Iowa on I-80, you might consider staying at the Amana Colonies RV Campground. The Colonies are SW of Cedar Rapids. Just Google Amana Colonies. Drop me a note if you decide to stop there and I'll send you my list of favorite places to visit in the Colonies.

Thanks...I will get back to you when I get to my "serious" planning!

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
If you get over towards the eastern half of Iowa on I-80, you might consider staying at the Amana Colonies RV Campground. The Colonies are SW of Cedar Rapids. Just Google Amana Colonies. Drop me a note if you decide to stop there and I'll send you my list of favorite places to visit in the Colonies.

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
Sidney, Nebraska (abbreviation should be NE) and Rawlins, Wyoming. Western Hills is pretty unprepossessing, but a decent spot. If its appearance puts you off, consider the surrounding terrain. 🙂 There's not that much available in Wyoming. If Rawlins is where you need to stop, Western Hills is preferable to the KOA. We've also done the KOAs in Rock Springs (even less scenic than Rawlins) and Cheyenne. Cheyenne is nice & clean but the entire ground is graveled with round stones & would not be good for those with mobility issues. Also not many sites to fit long rigs.

Iowa State Parks are pretty decent, though bathroom standards may be somewhat uneven (it's been many years since we've camped in one of their SPs.) Most are not really all that near the interstates. On the other hand, Nebraska State Parks & "waysides" offer some pretty good options as well, especially during the week, and some of them are quite convenient to I-80. Mostly just electric hookups, but for a night that should be fine if you travel with water in your tanks. We liked Kearny State Rec. Area, outside of the town of Kearney. FYI, there is an entrance fee in addition to camping fee. Mormon Island, Windmill and several others are strung along that route. Grand Island KOA is ok for an overnight; their best feature is a little less road noise (they're about 1/2 mile from the interstate) and freshly-baked pizza which can be delivered to your site. (Pretty good pizza too.) Extra cost for the pizza, of course. 🙂

Thanks for clarifying...just couldn't figure out what state was NB!!
I will write down your recommendations/non-recommendations regarding camping. Appreciate the suggestions! M

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Best CG deal in NE, Humboldt city maintenance lot and CG, 1 block south of the downtown area. $5/night for electric, water and dump station.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sidney, Nebraska (abbreviation should be NE) and Rawlins, Wyoming. Western Hills is pretty unprepossessing, but a decent spot. If its appearance puts you off, consider the surrounding terrain. 🙂 There's not that much available in Wyoming. If Rawlins is where you need to stop, Western Hills is preferable to the KOA. We've also done the KOAs in Rock Springs (even less scenic than Rawlins) and Cheyenne. Cheyenne is nice & clean but the entire ground is graveled with round stones & would not be good for those with mobility issues. Also not many sites to fit long rigs.

Iowa State Parks are pretty decent, though bathroom standards may be somewhat uneven (it's been many years since we've camped in one of their SPs.) Most are not really all that near the interstates. On the other hand, Nebraska State Parks & "waysides" offer some pretty good options as well, especially during the week, and some of them are quite convenient to I-80. Mostly just electric hookups, but for a night that should be fine if you travel with water in your tanks. We liked Kearny State Rec. Area, outside of the town of Kearney. FYI, there is an entrance fee in addition to camping fee. Mormon Island, Windmill and several others are strung along that route. Grand Island KOA is ok for an overnight; their best feature is a little less road noise (they're about 1/2 mile from the interstate) and freshly-baked pizza which can be delivered to your site. (Pretty good pizza too.) Extra cost for the pizza, of course. 🙂
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
whistlebritches wrote:
Cabela's headquarters are in Sidney, NB and they have a nice campground next to it. That could be a fun stop. There's also a decent campground in Rawlins, Western Hills rv park.

In what state (s) are these two campgrounds in? Thanks!

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
We've been both routes many times between SLC & Yellowstone and the Midwest. Your idea of going out one way and back the other is a good one, as each has its own charms. I-80 is great for pioneer (crossing the Plains) historic sites, and I-90 for a few good tourist-oriented or scenic sites.

What are you looking for in a CG? My idea of "great" may not be yours. With a little more info, it would be easier to help out.

I am a solo traveler so KOA's have worked out for "safety in numbers". But I have also stayed in non-KOA's and have been fine. A dog run/park, clean and not in a terrible area of a city are probably most important. Thanks for asking! M

whistlebritches
Explorer
Explorer
Cabela's headquarters are in Sidney, NB and they have a nice campground next to it. That could be a fun stop. There's also a decent campground in Rawlins, Western Hills rv park.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
MarshaNichols wrote:
In June I will be heading to north central Iowa from the Salinas area of CA. I would like to take one route to and another from.

I realize that highways 80 and 90 are the big highways. I plan to stop near Lincoln, Ne.b to visit with some friends.

Any recommendations on routes and GREAT campgrounds would be much appreciated!! Thanks!
I left Alpine, Az. about 15 years ago going to north central Iowa, never had a map, just went east and then north, never used a four lane. One of the greatest trips I ever had, got there took 5 days, stopped a anthing that look of interest. That is always the best road, is the one your haven't been on before.
So big a world, so little time to see.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been both routes many times between SLC & Yellowstone and the Midwest. Your idea of going out one way and back the other is a good one, as each has its own charms. I-80 is great for pioneer (crossing the Plains) historic sites, and I-90 for a few good tourist-oriented or scenic sites.

What are you looking for in a CG? My idea of "great" may not be yours. With a little more info, it would be easier to help out.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375