cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CA to IOWA

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I am for sure headed out June 1-30 from the central coast of CA to central Iowa. I am thinking of 80 going and returning on 90. I don't necessarily love highways though! I really want to see the country! So, from the Tahoe area to Nevada...Utah...Wyoming, Nebraska...Iowa....where not to be missed (place to stay and things), and what to not bother with...also places to see and stay.

I am a solo traveler so I prefer not to stay out in the boomdocks...love unique places.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
9 REPLIES 9

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
For birds, consider the Oregon 'outback', that is, the SW corner. Malhuer Lake, French Glen are places to lookup. On the other hand for waterfalls, the Oregon Cascades are a good place - there are books and online sources.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty wide open request. Just a few observations.

Our favorite route across NV is US 50. We often stay at Cave Lake SP SE of Ely, NV. Yes, it's on a lake in the desert. Busy on weekends with locals. Flush toilets and showers. Quiet and dark at night. It's a nice days drive from the Tahoe area through some interesting ghost towns like Eureka (stop and poke around the historic buildings).

Of course one can also stay at Upper Lehman or even Wheeler CG at Great Basin NP. Upper Lehman has some sites with a stream behind them. Wheeler is up high and worth the drive if it is hot. Lehman Caves worth the tour.

Rather than I-80, might I suggest I-70 across CO or even continuing on US 50. Better scenery than WY IMHO (maybe I'm a little biased). If you do decide to do US 50, see if you can spend a night at Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. Inky black nights for great star gazing. Often deer graze in the CG. Whichever route you take, you can take I-76 NE out of Denver and hit I-80 that way. I do prefer I-80 across NE rather than continuing on I-70 through KS.

As far as the WA coast, it's not nearly as accessible as the OR coast. Have you seen Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens the Columbia River Gorge and the area around Bend OR? Those might be different destinations that would appeal to you.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Islandman wrote:
Marsha - A hitch and hop above has a pretty good route outlined, except I would keep going all the way to the Washington coast and then head south on US 101 down through OR and CA on your way home. Course that depends on how much time you have left after visiting Mt Rushmore, Teddy Roosevelt NP, and Glacier NP. The Cascades and Olympics in WA are pretty neat places to visit on your way westward

I have done the Oregon coast. Where do you suggest staying from east Washington State to the coast and south...Cascades and Olympics?

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for suggestions. I should have said that I am giving myself almost 2 weeks going to Iowa and 3 weeks coming home. I am comfortable on most any road...just a 24' Class C. I am a photography kind of person...love animals-birds. I don't care to stay in places like truck stops/Walmarts, etc...just don't see it as safe for a solo female. KOA's are ok, although I like unique places...places you want to come back to stay!

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Marsha - A hitch and hop above has a pretty good route outlined, except I would keep going all the way to the Washington coast and then head south on US 101 down through OR and CA on your way home. Course that depends on how much time you have left after visiting Mt Rushmore, Teddy Roosevelt NP, and Glacier NP. The Cascades and Olympics in WA are pretty neat places to visit on your way westward

A_hitch_and_hop
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing what you time line is - is a handicap; but, Going east I would head up to Yellowstone and stay at Flag Ranch Resort so that I could see both Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Then head east stopping at Riverton, then follow the Oregon Trail back through Nebraska to Iowa. Coming back I would head up to I-90 and come west to Mt Rushmore, then north to Theodore Roosevelt NP, then west to Glacier NP. Then back down through Idaho on Hwy 50 and 60 to Reno and home. It is about 4400 miles and approx.. 8 days of driving time. There is a lot of History along these routes so my advice would be to look up the various states Tourist links and ask them to send you tourist brochures. Take your time and don't make the two biggest mistakes most people make when traveling. 1. You most likely will not drive this route and will be able to see it on your next trip through. 2. When shopping, you won't find it cheaper at the next store and you will not come back and buy it later.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides the freeways, what kinds of roads are you comfortable on? For example, would you take US50 or CA88 across the Sierras? US50 across the open spaces of Nevada? US40 across northern Colorado instead of I80 in Wyoming?

On the return, would you be comfortable taking US16 across the Big Horn Mtns and through Yellowstone? And returning south to California, you have choices such as US101 on the coast, US97 on the east side of the Cascades, or US395 a little further east.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
This is my stock answer to such wide open questions. Do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the city, state, area or whatever in the blank space and read what the experts state about their location. Seems to me once past the Rockies there isn't much to see.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
We leave N.Ca beginning of June. We are headed to Albia,Iowa by way of Teton NP, Yellowstone NP, S.Dakota (Rushmore-Badlands)
We have reservations at Colter Bay-Tetons, Fishing Bridege-Yellowstone, Ponderosa RV-Cody, and Rafter J Bar- S.Dakota. We will make our way to Albia,Iowa around the middle of July. Those all seemed like places we wanted to see on our way to Iowa,but we made reservations almost a year ago. No matter where you travel or what you see-have a safe and happy journey.