cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian Maritimes and New England

Lynnesd
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I plan to take our TC from Southern California to New England and the Canadian Maritime Provinces in August. We are especially interested in birding, and especially in Newfoundland. But I'm looking for any insights anyone can offer on places to see and stay in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Thanks!
Lynnesd
2001 Ford 350 Diesel
2005 Lance Lite 1025
7 REPLIES 7

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Just one more thing to be aware of... many of our parks/campgrounds close around Columbus Day (mid-October), if you are planning to hang around here to see fall colors, etc. Things start to freeze up by then! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Lynnesd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestions. Actually, we are leaving in August but plan to spend at least two months on the road, so we will have several weeks to spend in the northeastern US and southeastern Canada. Now we will have plenty to see and do!
Lynnesd
2001 Ford 350 Diesel
2005 Lance Lite 1025

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say check out the trip reports for the northeast and maritimes. The Northeast Jamboree group had a tour thru that part of Canada a few years ago and there are numerous reports on New England.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about needing more time to devote to the Atlantic Canada provinces. They could easily be a whole separate one month trip from New England. Especially Newfoundland...with a ferry cost of $500 round trip minimum for a small RV, you want to allow a few weeks.

In Nova Scotia, it's fun to drive the Cabot Trail up into Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Above the park entrance on the west side around Cheticamp, you'll come to a small park campground called Corney Brook, 20 sites right on the water, minimal facilities but stunning views. You can walk a trail down to a rocky beach.

In Newfoundland, our favorite campground was Island Cove on the Baie Verte Peninsula in La Scie. Not many visitors make it up to that area, part of its charm. We went because Bob's mother was born near there. Rough road to get there, but not too bad. It is a typical outport that had no roads connecting to the rest of the island, just access by boat until electricity finally came eventually. Nine sites overlooking the water. Great tea room and outport museum in town for local food and atmosphere. They still have icebergs in late June this year.

For birding in Newfoundland, there are two national parks...also we loved the Bonavista Peninsula where there is a puffin colony in Elliston. The local tourist office will give you a simple map to find them. We sat for a long time watching the puffins burrowing, flying, landing just across the water on an islet.

Lots more birding below St. John's. Just thinking about our three weeks in Newfoundland makes me want to spend all summer there next year.

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of places to stay in eastern Canada, so don't worry about it. You cannot do the east coast without going to Prince Edward Island. From New Brunswick drive to the bridge to enter PEI and when you leave take the ferry to Nova Scotia. Lots to see and do in the east coast. There is a boat to Newfoundland that leaves at midnight, so you can sleep all night on the boat and also save a nights camping fees. My Daughter and I did the east coast 2 years ago and it was a great trip.

Paul

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved to Roads and Routes Forum.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
If you would like to see some of our local Eastern birds, check out VINS (VT institute of Natural Science) near Quechee, and the Squam Lakes Science Center in Holderness, NH. Even though the New England states are small compared to the Left Coast, there is a big different between the Green Mountains in VT and the White Mountains in NH, and obviously the rocky coast of ME. Head up VT 100, parallels the Green Mtn range, work east across the top of VT into NH, check out Franconia Notch, the Kancamagus Highway (NH 112), north on NH 16 up to Rte 26, then east into ME thru Grafton Notch (notches are mountain passes...). Suggest you visit some of the many National Forest CG's in NH's White Mountain Nat'l Forest. The various Ranger District offices each have very nice educational displays - hidden treasures! If birds are your "thing", make it a point to visit Weeks States park near Lancaster, NH - outstanding display of birds! Acadia National Park in ME is a must. We may be small, but there is a LOT to see in New England! A month may get you a good sampling of New England, but you need at least a month more at a minimum if you plan to visit the Canadian Maritimes, let alone Newfoundland... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's