cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian Rockies itinerary assistance

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
We are starting to plan our trip to the Canadian Rockies for next summer. But in sketching out a rough itinerary, we are not certain where to base. Areas that interest us are Peter Lougheed Prov. Park, Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise, and Jasper. We can spend up to a month there.
We have a fifth wheel, and will be traveling with two other couples who have 37 foot and 39 foot motorhomes. None of us have been there before.
Originally I thought we could spend a week or two at Banff and the same near Jasper. But looking at the maps, I think that would take very long day trips every day to see the surrounding areas. (The other couples have dogs so being away all day will not work.)
We are interested in half day hikes, scenic drives, birding and wildlife watching. Also, Native American culture, geology, fossils and natural history.
So now I am wondering if it would be better to start at Peter L. for a few days, then move up to Banff for a few days, Lake Louise for a few days etc. Just not sure how much time to devote in each - its a big area! From what I've read, summers are very busy and we will need reservations. I don't want to lock us into a campground only to discover we are either bored and ready to move on, or wishing to stay much longer.
Direction of travel is north from MT, then west to Vancouver but reverse order is possible as the entire trip will be a big loop.
24 REPLIES 24

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
We'd never try it! We always drop the fifth wheel at the campground, then tour in our truck or in one of the jeeps our travelling companions are towing.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
If you are train buffs, don't miss Yoho -- you can see the spiral tunnel from an overlook near the campground.

Don't be taking your long RV on the road to Takkakaw Falls just inside Yoho, below the spiral tunnels. There is a tight hairpin turn on a hill, which is posted maximum 22 feet. At 22 feet you can just barely turn around to avoid backing down the hill.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We took a Tauck Tour, Best of the Canadian Rockies, many years ago. Look up Tauck Tours and just follow their itinerary. We went in July and spent a day at the Calgary Stampede, don't miss it, a great time.

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
The pictures on the gopher museum site are too funny!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Horizons28 wrote:
profdant139, your photos are stunning.

I agree!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you are into oddities, visit the Gopher Museum!
Gopher Museum
Trains! In Jasper is the Silver Bullet locomotive. Or it was!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I too would highly recommend a visit to Drumheller. Not only is the museum amazing, there are a lot of other attractions in the area that are well worth seeing as well. We have been there several times, with the last visit being last year and we will be back!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a railway buff then a side trip to Revelstoke to see the Revestoke Railway Museum which would be a 2.5 one way drive from Lake Louise.
Railway Buff Stuff
You would travel right by the Spiral Tunnel over Kicking House Pass, past Field B.C. down into Golden B.C. and then over Roger pass to Revelstoke .There is also more Railway Buff stuff part way over the Roger Pass at the Roger Pass Historic site ( interactive centre) they have a large railway display on the CPR and the early days coming through the mountains, a must see for a railway buff. Can't miss this place it is right beside the Hwy.
More Railways Buff Stuff
Also if you happen to travel up Hwy 2 towards Calgary from Fort McCloud stop in Naton and see the Bomber Command Museum of Canada. It is right down town on the side of the Hwy and there is a Lancaster Bomber on site as well as a few other WWII aircraft.
Bomber Command

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If your husband is a train buff, you have to go to Field, as suggested earlier, while you are camped at Lake Louise. Just over Kicking Horse Pass are the Spiral Tunnels of the Canadian Pacific transcontinental railway. The overlook has very informative Yoho National Park signs on the history, construction, and operation of the rail line and tunnels. While you are there, you will be able to video a train going in the east end of the tunnel on the high line above your viewpoint, then see the same train come out the west end of the lower tunnel many minutes later, heading in the same direction, but below your viewpoint! It's amazing!

Then you can resume your trip toward Field, the old turn-around point for the helper engines on the pass. However, turn off to the north before you get to the town and head up the valley to Takkakaw Falls (the highest waterfall in Canada) as suggested by Powder Pig. The waterfall is not only spectacular, but you can hike right up to its base.

Also, not to miss in Jasper, besides the exciting road up Mt. Edith Cavell and the gondola ride, are Athabaska Falls, Maligne Canyon, Maligne Lake, and Pyramid Lake. Maligne Canyon is a narrow slot canyon, but in limestone instead of sandstone like the slot canyons of Utah, with numerous waterfalls. Be sure to hike down the canyon as far as you can from the visitor's center. That will get you away from the tour bus crowds that stay nearer the parking lot. In addition, the canyon widens slightly as you walk downstream and you will see numerous smaller waterfalls.

Pyramid Lake is located at the base of beautiful Pyramid Mountain north of Jasper. Both are worth lots of photos if you get up there early in the morning when the lake is still and the sun angle is low. The lake also has an interesting WWII history. It was the site of an experiment to build an "unsinkable" aircraft carrier made of ice and sawdust. The idea was another of Churchill's wild schemes, but was taken seriously enough that a scale model carrier was built and tested on Pyramid Lake. Who knew?

It's one of our favorite areas for wildlife photography too. Elk, mountain goats, and bighorn sheep can often be seen in the middle of, or right beside, some of the busiest roads in Jasper NP. An entire herd of elk often grazes right between the campsites in Whistler's campground. And, a few years before we bought our RV, we stayed at Becker's Resort south of Jasper and saw a cow moose along the river one fall evening. Other people have seen them around Maligne Lake, but we were not so fortunate.

So, have a great time--we always have!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are train buffs, don't miss Yoho -- you can see the spiral tunnel from an overlook near the campground.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, Tunnel Mountain Village II is the only Banff campground that has public bus service that runs directly into Banff. If you do not have a toad or are the only PU for 6 people, you might consider staying here and taking the bus into Banff (1.6 miles). My wife and I loved leaving the RV at the cg and jumping on the bus to go sightseeing in Banff and the surrounding area. I would not recommend driving thru Banff during tourist season because of all the traffic and RV parking issues. If driving is not a problem, then just about any campground would work for you as long as they can accommodate your length.

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
Nice suggestions. I forgot to mention in our "interests" list that my husband is a train buff so I will look at Cranbrook.

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Just had another thought, rare for me!
Instead of taking Hwy 40 to Peter Lougheed, take HWy 3 West. Stop at the Frank Slide interpretive centre then overnight at Fort Steele (Commercial RV park here and the restored fort is across the Hwy and worth a half day).

Go back to Cranbrook (Interesting railway museum here if you like old trains) and then to Kimberley. Overnight at the Riverside RV park/campground then visit the underground mining/railway museum in Kimberley.

Drive north on Hwy 95 to overnight at Redstreak campground in Radium. Visit the hot pools.

Drive through Kootenay Park (1 hour to Hwy 1 with no stops then 20 minutes more to Banff) to get to Banff. Then resume my previous tour by heading back west to Lake Louise.

Campgrounds in Kootenay Park other than at Redstreak are unserviced and the only one you might fit into would be Macleod meadows. The Paint pots in Kootenay park are interesting as is Marble canyon though the parking at Marble canyon can be an issue for big rigs.

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
If coming up from Montana you might consider:
1. Stop in Waterton for a couple of days. If you have a Toad drive up to Red Rock canyon. Visit info centre for other walks.
2, Stop in Cardston at the Reynold's museum. (Day trip from Waterton.)
3. Visit Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump off Hwy 3. Look on-line for camping spot here.
4. Take Hwy 40 into Peter Lougheed park, stay a couple of days. Lots of walks here.
5. Move to Banff, Tunel mtn. for 2-3 days. Crazy busy town but some like it. The Sulphur mtn Gondola is worth while here as is the Whyte museum.
6. Move to Lake Louise for 4 nights. Do walks at Lake Louise, Morraine lake, see info. centre (good one), allow a day to Visit Field and drive up to Takkakaw falls (toads only here).
7. Move up the Icefields Parkway--lots of pull-offs and beauty spots like Bow lake, Peyto viewpoint. You could likely fit the rigs at Waterfowl lakes (unserviced) or at the overflow camping at the Icefields (unserviced, parking lot, but lots of room). Visit the info. centre here. Nice hike to Wilcox pass, but uphill. Icefield snow coach ride is pricey but worth it. The glass viewing platform north of the Icefields is NOT worth it as you see the same things from the highway.
8. Move to Jasper (Whistlers campground) for 3 or 4 nights. Drive toads to Edith Cavell and walk here. See info. centre for other walks. Another Gondola here to a low peak (Whistler's) if you wish.
9. Move West to Mount Robson provincial park for a couple of nights. Info centre here for advice on activities. Take Hwy 5 West but this is out of my area so someone else can advise you better.

Do try to get to Drumheller as the museum there is world class. Don't know where you would fit it in as it is North and East of Calgary a fair distance. There are RV places to camp. There is so much to see at the museum it takes us two days.

Hope this helps. Do book serviced campgrounds ahead and do check out the distances involved.