cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
Are there two of them? Google maps seems to think there is - from Virginia Beach to Cape Charles ish, and from Annapolis to Chester (all ish, not sure the exact start/finish names).

We are going from DC to DE, across the second one, 35 foot A towing a car, in the summer. Is that all bridge, or is part of that tunnel? Where can I find toll info? Yes, I looked at cbbt.com, and it wasn't much help at all.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX
12 REPLIES 12

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I came across the Bridge/Tunnel in the Bounder the tariff was $10. No toad. Turn off the propane before you get there. Just tell the ticket taker. It can be an adventure, but with a divided four-laner for much of the trip, it's no big deal. The tunnels are fun, but short - only a mile each, maybe even less. Everybody should do it at least once, it's an engineering marvel. Privately built, not a penny of tax dollars, came in under budget and on time. Even the new lanes were done in less than 18 months, and that was with two new bridges and 17 miles of open ocean. Hell, around here it takes them longer than that to re-pave a 1-mile stretch of I-295
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
For either the Bay Bridge and Tunnel or just the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, the toll plazas are a bit tight so use the right hand lane for more room. The Bay Bridge has a one way toll that is only paid eastbound (westbound is free) and the Bridge and Tunnel charges both directions. On the Bay Bridge, a Class A pulling a toad can really get pricey, $36, but if you separate them before the toll booth, the 3 axle rig is $12 and the car $6. We stop about 200 yards before the toll booth, separate the car and Bus, and re-hook up about 100 yards beyond the booth, but we use the bridge much more than most. Don't know about the Bridge/Tunnel as we go that way very seldom and I heard they recently raised tolls there too.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! That makes so much more sense that I was coming up with.

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
Chesapeake Bay Bridge RT 50, is in Maryland (no tunnel)
Chesapeake Bay Bridge TUNNEL RT 13,is at mouth of bay in Va. Two 2 lane spans that converge into a single two lane tunnel at 2 different locations. 17 miles long
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
skrams wrote:
Is there two of them? Google maps seems to think there is - from Virginia Beach to Cape Charles ish, and from Annapolis to Chester (all ish, not sure the exact start/finish names).

We are going from DC to DE, across the second one, 35 foot A towing a car, in the summer. Is that all bridge, or is part of that tunnel? Where can I find toll info? Yes, I looked at cbbt.com, and it wasn't much help at all.

You're going across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (Annapolis to Chester), not the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (Virginia Beach to Cape Charles). You're right that there is a difference.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is a bridge only. The website for it is:
http://www.baybridge.maryland.gov/

There are no propane restrictions but occasionally are wind restrictions. It's usually obvious based on the weather conditions, but check their site.

I've written a post about Road & Tunnel Restrictions near Maryland that includes this.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
Toll schedule is kind of straight forward. Count axles, count wheels, maybe need to check height, look up toll, and good to go. http://www.cbbt.com/schedule.html

If there is a wind delay there is a great place to park going southbound.

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
DavisK wrote:
There is another crossing at Annapolis. There is no tunnel there, only high-level bridge.

That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
When we towed our rig across the bridge and through the tunnel my wife missed the whole adventure. She never opened her eyes...:E
She was shaking so hard that I didn't even notice the wind.

They make you shut off your propane at the toll gate.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
any problem with propane in trailer on the tunnels?

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
The tunnel is fun in a motor home!!
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
There's one combination bridge-tunnel at the mouth of the bay (VA Beach to Cape Charles). It has 2 tunnels and one high-level bridge and 20+ miles of low bridge. You can also stop at the first island and fish from a pier. There is another crossing at Annapolis. There is no tunnel there, only high-level bridge. Both have tolls. It's been a few years since I have crossed either, so I don't know how much either costs.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
There's only one crossing. It's part bridge, part tunnel. We used it years ago with a class c. The only problem is it gets windy and trailers and RVs can be banned for this.