cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado & New Mexico Rt 17

Joe2222
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to the Cumbres & Toltec RR. Looking for information about the RT 17 from Antonito CO to Chama NM.

Joe & Lorraine
2015 Rockwood Ultra Light 2608WS,
14 Ford F150 Super Cab 3.5L EcoBoost

Sebastian FL

:Z:R
7 REPLIES 7

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry double post

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Pat wrote:
Joe2222 wrote:
Planning a trip to the Cumbres & Toltec RR. Looking for information about the RT 17 from Antonito CO to Chama NM.

Wished I was headed that way!

Pat

X2

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
It would be interesting to know how the ecoboost does.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Joe2222
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the Info. We hope to be heading in that direction by August.

Joe & Lorraine
2015 Rockwood Ultra Light 2608WS,
14 Ford F150 Super Cab 3.5L EcoBoost

Sebastian FL

:Z:R

RayUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
One of our favorite routes but we don't mind climbing mountain roads. Make sure your truck has an adequate towing package for high elevations and keep the tt payload as light as possible.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Joe2222 wrote:

Wished I was headed that way!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joe2222 wrote:

It's a good drive, and going from northeast to southwest, you'll have diverse scenery. Heading out of Antonito will be in the high desert and heading up a valley, where you'll climb to La Manga Pass at about 10200 feet. Some twisties up top but nothing extraordinary. You'll be at higher elevation and next will be Cumbres Pass at 10000 feet. As passes in Colorado go, these are not difficult. Cumbres Pass, you'll have an incredible photo op to get pics of the train on the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad; well worth trying to time it correctly to see the train. The drop down in to Chama is also not difficult, and will parallel the railroad for a goodly portion. All in all, a very enjoyable drive.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.