cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crossing Coastal Range in Northern CA

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Is Rt.299 from McKinleyville to Redding doable with a 40' fiver and F-350 dually or should we continue down 101 to Ukiah and take Rt. 20 east to Williams? Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
A freak storm can dump snow over the entire state. Watch the weather news.....
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Will there be trouble with 20 in January? Chains? Thanks!

No, very unlikely for Hwy 20 to see enough snow to require chains.

The portion between Hwy 101 West over to Hwy 1 is curvy and slow.

Have a look on Google Maps.
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Will there be trouble with 20 in January? Chains? Thanks!

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
It is wise to remember how to protect your brakes in the mountains...

Always down shift and pump the brakes and never go down long hills faster
then you came up them.

Brakes on modern RV's are good but they will never work like a car.
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Just reverse this route and you will have a pleasant and easy trip. A few tall hills but most have passing lanes. Take your time and enjoy the view.

Take Highway 20 West out of Williams. 37.1 miles.

Watch for Highway 53 as you drop down a hill after a fairly long climb. Easy climb and multiple lanes.
Turn what would be South onto 53. You will go about 8 miles. Look for the sign to Highway 29 which leads to Kelseyville. This is a nice road and will become freeway in a few miles. Eventually you are back to two lane for a short distance and will come to a stop sign. You are back to Highway 20 again. This leg is about 30 miles. Turn left and enjoy the beautiful drive right to 101

This route will bypass the two lane twisting and winding on the North side of Clear lake. If you want a good view of the lake go ahead and stay on 20 all the way to 101.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you are south bound, 20 would be my choice. Otherwise, 299 is fine.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
299 is a good road.....some construction west of Whiskeytown. Towed my 5ver over that many times. Takes about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
cpaulsen

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with all of the above. We will use it to go from Redding to the coast because my wife's parents live in Redding. I consider it a full days drive. I use one of the parks in Arcata or Trinidad because I am whipped after driving it. We always head back to So Cal via 20.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Our experience...none of the routes crossing the N. Cal Coastals are very good or easy.

299 into Redding is curvy, has some grades and seems to take forever. It's doable (logging trucks and big rigs use it) but every time we do, we hate it.

Anyway. Good luck and have a good trip.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been over both. Personally I would take 20 with the bypass around the south side of Clear lake. 299 IMHO is puke hwy. Lots of curves and several miserable climbs. If your heading north 199 out of Crescent City is a decent drive

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
We did it a couple years ago coming from Lassen Volcanic to the 101 which we followed north to the end. I don't recall any road problems.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper