cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dallas / Ft. Worth

mlwilliams808
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any suggestions to bypass the Dallas/ ft.worth area? I leave Louisiana and head to west coast via I-10 to 49N to 20E to 287N to 40E. Have a!most been in 3 accidents in Dallas area and just dread that area, between all of the construction and probably some of the rudest drivers in the country, I've tried 114 and it isn't much better.
12 REPLIES 12

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Can you give specific cities you're starting from and your destination city? That would help as to the route.

There are many great secondary roads that have nicer scenery other than interstates.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
I live here and truly feel for you. As far as I'm concerned, the best way is to stay on the south side of both cities using I-20 all the way thru. If at all possible, be west of 360 before 6AM. When we are traveling east from Ft. Worth, we leave at 4-4:30am. Just the best way to do it, particularly when your pulling a trailer. When we are returning from the east, I've been known to cut south on US67 and then return north on I-35W just to avoid most of Dallas and the areas around Duncanville and Grand Prairie.

Just my 2-cents.

Happy Camping!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

mlwilliams808
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it. Crodad, wife prefers the scenery and stops along 40, thinks the 10 is lacking in scenery, also 10 takes us into LA.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I work in Houston and used to live in Fort Worth.

I'll pick I-10 thru downtown Houston vs. dealing with any of the highways in Dallas. (I-20 or I-30 plus one of the various loops to get to US-287).
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
If you stay on I-10, then you have to go through Houston. No better than DFW.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd stay on I-10.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
How far west are you going? Why not just stay on I-10 all the way to California?
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
I would highly recommend option #1. Actually I49 goes all the way to Ft Smith and I40 can be picked up there.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Take padredw's advice. Any of the three would work for you, even the route skirting DFW via I-20 on the south side.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Sure, at least a couple of good possibilities.

1. Stay on I-49 North through Shreveport to Texarkana, then take US 82 west to intersection with US 287 near Wichita Falls. This is the route we always take from East Texas to Colorado.

2. Stay on I-20 to US 69 at Lindale, near Tyler. Take US 69 to Bells, TX near Sherman then US 82 West as above.

3. Someone suggested taking I-25 from Las Crucas. If you wanted to do that you could stay on I-20 around South of DFW. I have make that route many times without the slightest delay. Of course that would be after 9:30 am and before 3:00 pm.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
US 84, that way you miss Houston and Beaumont. Pick it up from 49 Then what ever road you like to get to I 40
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I10 to Las cruces, nm then I25 north to I 40
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind