cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dallas to St. Louis - Route Suggestions

jwilson32
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling from Lake Kiowa (near Gainesville, TX) to St. Louis Sunday and wanting some suggestions on a scenic route home. We came down 69/75 which is a pretty crappy hwy with lots of lights. I35 to I44 is an option although there's not much to look at.

I'm thinking something through Arkansas would be nice. I'd like it to be a route that's not too much more extra time.

Look forward to your suggestions!
Jordan Wilson
02' Coachmen Cross Country Elite 354 DP
8 REPLIES 8

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Real fun was the pre-interstate US-71 over the mountain between Fort Smith and Fayetteville. Four years ago we took our TT that way just for my nostalgia sake. With all he big trucks and folks in a hurry on the interstate it was a nice drive.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
I just came across US60 from Springfield to Poplar Bluff, MO. Excellent road with nice views, little traffic, and some interesting stops along the way (especially around Van Buren and Big Spring). At Poplar Bluff turn north on US67 up to St Louis. Sure beats I44 for scenery.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the I49-US412-US65 route in April. No issues, good route. Way better than endless miles of impersonal interstate.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
If you have time, we like to take US60 east from US65 near Springfield. Depending on where in St. Louis you are headed, you can go north on US 67 or I-55. We stop at Hinton RV Park which is near Lambert's Cafe, home of the throwed rolls.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

jwilson32
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the recommendations! I couldn't agree more paw paw, that stretch of 69 is absolutely horrible!

I'll probably make my way over to 65 and head north through Branson and Springfield to I44
Jordan Wilson
02' Coachmen Cross Country Elite 354 DP

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I take OK-2 from Antlers to US-271 near Sardis Lake to Fort Smith AR.

Not the fastest route, but much better than the rough stretch of US-69 from McAlester to I-40. That section of highway always breaks something in the rig.

Then I-49 up to US-412 in Springdale to US-65 near Harrison and north past Branson to Springfield.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
we drove highway 62 from Little Rock up to Springfield a couple years ago. Decent road, nice scenery..takes you past Branson if you are so minded. Tablerock Lake has a good campground.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
One option would be US 65 at Springfield, MO thru Branson to US 412 just north of Harrison. Then 412 west to I-49, south to I-40, west back to 69. That would at least eliminate much of the US 69 miles.

Another would be to stay on US 65 all the way to I-40 just north of Little Rock, I-40 to Little Rock, to I-430, to I-30 back to TX.

Both are relatively easy drives, nice scenery, and would not add significant mileage to your return. They would be slower due to a lot of it being 2 lane rather than interstate. US 412 is a little narrower highway, but not bad at all towing our 35' 5er. Lots of options from either of the above routes.

I-49 south at Joplin down to I-40 and over to 69 is another option would not add much time to your return and still add some scenery.