cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Death Valley considerations for a 1996 Class A in June

timr
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we're traveling to So California from Washington and looking at options for side trips. Considering taking a trip to Death Valley, but wondering about the risks that need consideration in that decision.

What we're driving:
1996 Winnebago Adventurer with 460 Gas engine. w/ ~ 76,000 miles.
Up to date on all maintenance items (hoses, belts, wheel bearings, brakes, U-Joint greasing, tires - less than a year and less than 10K miles, oil, tranny, maintained suspension, new rebuilt power steering pump) But . . . is Death Valley a better trip for a different time of year? And, is a class A the appropriate vehicle?

Looking forward to the responses.
1996 Winnebago adventurer since April 2012
11 REPLIES 11

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
....and drink plenty of water especially if go outside.

X2, and carry 3 gallons of h20 for your RV.

Disagree fill your fresh water tank the day before you can not have enough water in those conditions
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

timr
Explorer
Explorer
We made the trip, slightly modified from original plans, and climbed the Tejon pass (and returned the same way). The trip was great and without event, but the heat was pretty unbearable at times. Glad to have passed on Death Valley during this time of year.

Thanks for the suggestions.
1996 Winnebago adventurer since April 2012

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I think Furnace Creek has some hookups to keep you cool.
Make sure you have an electric site reserved or you better like the HEAT.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Death Valley is not a place for an RV in the summer. Go in the winter and enjoy it.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you go in June - and you won't be alone - definitely take the Scotty's Castle tour. It is a cool tour in cool temps. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a local resident of just outside of DV, I gotta tell ya that June is probably not a good time to visit. Not only will it be 100+ degrees in the shade, depending upon the entrance you choose, there will be some very steep grades to traverse and unless your mh is a naturally cool running engine, you will experience some overheating problems.

If you do decide to do this trip, I recommend that you enter DV from either Baker, CA entrance or from Beatty, NV entrance. Those two have only minor grades to contend with. Still, you would be wise to bring at least a 5 gal container of water for the mh and for each person at lease a gallon. I do NOT recommend going into DV from Hwy 190 (Lone Pine CA) or from Las Vegas.

As previously mentioned above, November through March is a much better time to visit DV.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't take your rig down into Death Valley in June. It is going to be hotter than you know where down there. The skin on your rig will be hot enough to fry eggs.
Your radiator will boil climbing and your brakes will smoke descending.
It won't be any fun, I promise you.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer

X2, and carry 3 gallons of h20 for your RV.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
June will be hot and not all that comfortable!!!! Strongly recommend that you have some type of Emergency Road Service policy if you travel Death Valley in the summer months. Traveling in the real early morning is always advisable for your comfort and your vehicle. As an alternative, I would consider the north side of the Grand Canyon, zion park, bryce park.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Yes it will be much more enjoyable in November to March. However it is do-able, say you want to go south on 395, then cut across to Las Vegas via Death Valley instead of taking 395 to highway 58, then to Barsto, then to Las Vegas, about 100 miles farther. If you keep the rooftop A/C on all the time via generator, and run the dash air too, you might be fine. Personally I would go the long way, but it might be nearly as hot anyway, check Weather.com

If you will be taking 395 south anyway, then consider that California will have extreme high gas prices as you leave Carson City and go south, until you get past Lone Pine. Line pine is probably 20 cents a gallon less than Bishop, while Bishop will be about 60 cents a gallon more than Carson City, with the Costco at the corner of highway 395 and 50 being the low price in that area.

I would recommend staying the night at June Lake area, or some of the campgrounds near 395 and highway 120 that goes into Yosemite. They will be at a higher elevation, and cooler. I have taken my 97 Bounder with 460" engine over all these passes, and it runs fine. Make sure that you have washed the radiator, so that it is clean on the outside.

If you are in Death Valley, and nighttime temperatures are above 90F, then consider you will not be able to "Explore" much of the valley, just stay pretty much inside the RV or visitor's centers. Not many hikes, ect. So yes avoid it. But check with weather.com and see what they expect during your trip. You might find Barsto is about the same temp, and saving that 100 miles extra drive might be worthwhile.

Class A is much better than a car towing a trailer. You can run the generator and rooftop A/C. No going into a hot trailer after a long drive. Class C has the feet closer to the exhaust manifolds, so not as good as a class A. I put 1/2" thick foam down on top of my carpets, and that seems to help a bit with the engine heat. I found the foam play blocks at Toys R Us.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com