cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Death Valley from the West - Anything new?

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi all you awesome helpful people. We leave tomorow early to drive from Monterey - Furnace Creek in Death Valley, our plan of attack is over the Tehachapi's, 14 north, to Ridgecrest, 178 to Trona then Panamount Valley Road to 190 East.

We're towing our 19 foot hybrid trailer.

Is there anyting we need to be aware of????

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
East side of the road....I'm assuming you're referring to the Trona/Wildrose road..not Hwy 190.

I don't know... I've lived in this area my entire life and have been all through panamint valley and have never, ever seen a cow. Burros, Mountain Goats and years ago, wild horses...but most of them have been rounded up by the BLM. And yes, I'm aware of the "ranches" on the east side of the valley. the more popular one was called "Indian Ranch"....but again, never saw a cow there. During the 60's, this area had a lot of hippies and commune places. Ballarat was really alive...lots of parties with no law what so ever to curtain any activity going on there.

I've probably been up every one of those canyons...from Goler Wash to Wildrose. Can't get to Panamint City any more by 4x4, but if you're up to hiking, it's a good place to check out.

But, if you've seen a cow....anything is possible.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron, I saw cow-like objects on the road near Highway 190 a couple of years ago. There are several ranches tucked back in the canyons on the east side of the road. Seems like a tough place to grow cows, but someone appears to be doing it.

Maybe it was a mirage!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you made it ok and are enjoying DV. I assume that when you said Panamint Valley Road...you were talking about Hwy 190..right? And the road from Trona through Panamint valley is called the Trona/Wildrose road. That road use to go through Wildrose Canyon but due to landslides and flooding every year the road over to Hwy 190 was made and the Wildrose road was removed from Cal Trans repair list. Too bad, as the road through Wildrose canyon is fantastic. Lots of old mining, small town, charcoal kilns (See Here), Aguereberry Point ((See Here)place where you can see the highest point (Mt Whitney) and the lowest point (Bad water) from one place. The charcoal kilns was one of our favorite places to visit in the winter as it always had snow. I grew up in Trona.

Anyway, have a great time.

Ron
Ron & Sandie

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The road was great! The 1 1/2 miles of gravel road was actually before we turned onto Panamint Valley Road. It was easy driving (although some people drove way too fast). The Wildrose Road is still blocked off. It is do beautiful here! Went on a guided hike through Golden Canyon by moonlight last night!

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
nighttime is even more difficult, plus there are sometimes burros and range cattle.

range cattle??? Really? In Panamint valley? :h
Ron & Sandie

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey all, thanks for posting, we are on 58 about 2 miles from 14. I'll report back later how the road was! Thanks a bunch!!!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless they repaved the whole road from Trona to 190, there are some potholes here and there. No big deal, especially travelling northbound in the daytime -- you can steer around them. Travelling south into the sun in the winter is a little tougher, due to sun glare. And nighttime is even more difficult, plus there are sometimes burros and range cattle.

That is one of my favorite roads -- really feels like the Old West out there.

PS --Wavesprite, when you check back in with the forum, could you please post something about the road conditions? Thanks!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
One other thing... fill up with fuel in Ridgecrest....practically nothing available from that point on.

Trona/Wildrose road was just reopened a week or so ago. Be aware however, that road is old and narrow but very doable. Towns Pass at the top is around 10% grade and from the top down to Stovepipe wells is a long downgrade where you'll be needed your brakes a lot. Use your trans/motor to keep your speed down or you'll find yourself without any brakes real quick.

Enjoy your trip...perfect weather right now to visit DVNP.

Ron
Ron & Sandie

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Road between Trona and Hwy 190 is now OPEN....Yea!

Ron
Ron & Sandie