cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Detroit to Utah

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for advice on the best route to take from Detroit to St. George Utah (SW corner). I70 and I-80 both end up in Denver but it would appear I-80 would be a shorter distance. Is the terrain similar on both routes? Is it easy to get through the bigger cities? I am familiar with I-80 around the south end of Lake Michigan but beyond that it is all new territory for us.

Your advice will be appreciated.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)
9 REPLIES 9

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Winged One wrote:

2. I-80 through Iowa is one long truck. They will be constantly passing you (if you drive 65 or lower like you should).

I had taken I-80 most of the way across (cutting over on I-76), from west Michigan, and I agree it is two lanes, solid semi trucks.

I drove my sports car, which was a bright orange cop magnet. Even keeping up with the other few cars on the road at 80+ mph, the trucks would pass me. Then they come up to a buddy or something, and slow both lanes down to 45-50mph for ten or twenty miles, before speeding up again.

Coming back, I was headed out of Jackson Wyoming, so I cut down to I-80 around Rawlins ... had the east bound road mostly to myself until Iowa again. Despite being passed by semis, I got pulled over doing 90+ in an 80mph zone, just a warning though, somewhere around Cheyenne.

Sorry, I got a bit off track reminiscing. Have a great trip... getting across the plains is boring but once you hit western Colorado it gets a lot better (if you decide on i-70 that is.)
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take the traffic on the new revamped I-15 any time of the day, over the traffic in Denver. 5 years ago, yes I would have agreed with you and we used to take 93 to 50 to I-15 just to stay out of SLC, but no more. Now go straight through and the traffic usually moves good, even during rush hours.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Some suggestions from someone that went a similar way last summer.

1. Do NOT drop down out of Detroit or on I-69 to 80/90 through Indiana. For what you have to pay, it is rough as a cob (especially the bridge aprons). Just terrible.

2. I-80 through Iowa is one long truck. They will be constantly passing you (if you drive 65 or lower like you should).

3. If you can add a day to your trip out, US-2 through the U.P. of Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota is a much nicer drive. You could then drop down I-35 to I-70.

4. Or take I-69 south to Indianapolis. Follow the bypass north (less busy) around the city to reach I-70. And avoid the Chicago nightmare altogether.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Detroit it seems the long way around to use I-70 all the way from the Midwest. I'd suggest I-94 to I-80 near Chicago (try to be going around Chicago on a Saturday or midday - worst time would be Friday between 3 and 8 PM.) Stick with 80 all the way west to I-76, which cuts off toward Denver near Ogallala, Nebraska, as 4runnerguy suggested. I-80 west of there will put you through all the SLC traffic (yuck) and as long as you're going to St. George, I-70 will put you into Utah way south of SLC and well on your way to SG. Take I-15 south from I-70 to St. George.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree has given you great suggestions if you want scenic roads through UT.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I-80 doesn't go to Denver but rather continues west to SLC where you can pick up I-15 south to St. George. This route through WY is a lower elevation crossing of the Continental Divide, but the winds across WY always seem to be blowing.

From I-80, you can catch I-76 to Denver and take I-70 through the mountains. Two serious climbs, but a beautiful route used by many RV's and trucks. From Vail pass west, there are a few short climbs, but nothing of significance. As noted above, there are alternate routes southward off of I-70 taking you through lots of fantastic scenery.

As far as big cities, SLC and Denver can be equally good or bad, depending on the day and time you travel through them. I do think that I-76 to where it connects with I-70 is generally a less busy route that I-70 itself through Denver.

We have found that I-80 in the Midwest/Great Lakes area has more truck traffic and is busier than I-70.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Interstate 70 west of Denver, through the mountains is lovely scenery and Eisenhower tunnel is fun too.

I have not driven I 70 west of Moab, as I wanted to see the interior of Utah. I ended up taking US 191 to Utah 95 to Utah 24 - scenery is FANTASTIC on 95 and 24, and the roads were all but deserted. 95 isn't much help to get you to St George though.

You could take I70 to Utah 24 to Utah 12, which will route you through the Dixie Forest and Grand Staircase National Monument, should be beautiful. Pickup US 89 outside Bryce and head south to Zion NP, Utah 9 will take you to St George.

This is a route I've looked at for a future trip ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terrain-wise, I 80 and I 70 are about the same until you get to Denver.
Nothing to worry about. Kansas City has a good loop road. I 70 is a toll road from Kansas City over to Topeka, but clear from then on.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Not quiet sure where you got the info that I-80 went to Denver, but all the times I drove it, I never saw Denver. It is a good highway with a LOT less traffic than I-70. We use it every time we go from visiting family in OH & PA to our home in ID. Yes, I-80 to I-15 is your best and least traffic route.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today