cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dirt road through valley of the Gods Utah?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone done this? Hubby want to do this. Class c 24 foot with
no toad. Like he wants to do it sometime today. I have some reservations.
Donna
5 REPLIES 5

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Clouddriver, Goblin Valley is someplace we will return to as well...next visit. Neat place that is often overlooked. We will also revisit Needle Canyonlands for a longer stay:)

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, we did it. Hubby really wanted to and he also wanted to see the ziggy zaggy road part of route 261 that rv's are not supposed to go on. So that is the way we went in and watched cars coming down and going up that ziggy zaggy 261 and tried to figure out exactly where the road was (hard to do that!). We have 24 foot class c which really is 25 feet bumper to bumper and I would say because of the dips in the road (quite a few of them) that that would be the max I would recommend. It was VERY scenic so I would recommend giving it a whirl. It did take us almost three hours because we were being very careful and we didn't want to beat rv to death, bottom out, or gasp get stuck. Just make sure there was no rain before you drive it.
Saw maybe 12 cars on that road during the time we were on it...interestingly no motorhomes or vans.:B There were two slightly smaller rental c' that followed us to the start but then turned around.

We stayed at Gooseneck the night before only to experience some wind
and a few raindrops that kept me awake awhile because it was whistling like crazy.Neat free place to stay! Maybe 9 others there camping last night.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We too drove the dirt road but with our TV - turned around part way through. It was a rough narrow road and I remember having to go slow through a couple of drainage areas. They were dry, but a good dip.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We drove by Valley of the Gods a few years back on our way up to Moab. We're planning to go back that way next year, so looking forward to reading about your experiences in your blog. BTW, enjoyed reading your blog so far. We want to hit Goblin Valley too next year.

Check out Goosenecks State Park while you are in the area.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Yip -- just did it a few days ago. Dirt road, but doable......as far as we went. We got bored before we made it thru (was up all night with a storm). There were washes across the road, too.....not bad but there. If there's been any rain, be cautious.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend