cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest way from Allentown PA to Brattleboro VT

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
I want to break this into a 2 day trip and am thinking of going via Newburgh, NY and then up to Bennington VT via I-87 and over to Brattleboro on RT 7 (or is it 9?). I am looking for the easiest possible journey, not necessarily fastest or shortest, but most stress free. Also would appreciate ideas for RV Park around the half way point. Thanks! Oh, driving a 21' Class C, no toad.
7 REPLIES 7

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to make this trip next week. From Troy to Keene to Concord is 9 and Hog Back any problem for a 38' MH?
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
vtchris wrote:
I want to break this into a 2 day trip and am thinking of going via Newburgh, NY and then up to Bennington VT via I-87 and over to Brattleboro on RT 7 (or is it 9?). I am looking for the easiest possible journey, not necessarily fastest or shortest, but most stress free. Also would appreciate ideas for RV Park around the half way point. Thanks! Oh, driving a 21' Class C, no toad.

You are in Allentown, so I'd take rt 22 to rt 33 to I-80 for cpl exits..get off exit 309 and take 209 up thru to Milford....really a nice ride....places to stop.....then I-84 into NY and Ct...then get off 84 just past Danbury,Ct @ exit 7 onto Rt 7 north ...this is a 2 lane road...but a nice travel road...we would do it all the time in our 31ft motorhome in the fall to see the "dead leaves".... that will take you thru Pittsfield ,Mass right into Vt into Bennington
It is such a short ride...not sure where you would want to stop overnite....you have Tri-State C/G @ 209 and 84.....and then along Rt 7 in Canaan,Ct..about 5 miles from the Mass state line.... there is Lone Oaks C/G that will things to do...
OR, You can go up 84 to Hartford,Ct to 91 to Vt.....I think you'd like the first route the best...and I have done it with a 3Ft,a 38ft and a 41 Ft...so you will not have a problem...but realize , not an interstate ..just a pleasant ride thru the countryside...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
vtchris wrote:

I believe you'd have no trouble on Rt 9 traveling over Hogback in your 21' Class C. We breeze up and down with our 22" Class B. Start in Troy and take 9 all the way.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
vtchris wrote:
But doesn't 287 have a ton of traffic? That area look really congested. And then I would have to get on I87 up tp I84 and does the NY State Thruway allow RVs?

Well then, name what road doesn't have traffic now days? I just went down that route last month. Traffic was light and no stops, I guess it had something to do with the day of the week and the time of the day. Just "luck" I presume... However, judging by the "Easy-pass" lanes arrangements I can see have traffic problems and want to keep it moving.

Coming from the NH Seacoast and Eastern Mass, we learn quickly when to travel and what spots to avoid.

Yes, they do allow RVs on the NY throughways.

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
And Hartford on I91 too?

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
But doesn't 287 have a ton of traffic? That area look really congested. And then I would have to get on I87 up tp I84 and does the NY State Thruway allow RVs?

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
You're looking for a stress-free trip and you want to do "Hogback Mountain"? Man, are you in for a treat "Hogback Mountain" (rt. 9) is not for the faint of hart, it's wild ride in the best of times.

Here's the way I'd go: I-78 to I-287 to I-84 to I-91. It's only 310 miles, an easy 5 hours trip. I've made that trip several times easy drive.

Going over to Bennington, VT from Exeter, NH (via Rt. 101/Rt. 9) is a fun trip, but then, I'm a native Vermonter.