cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eastbound through Denver Co

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll be hitting Denver around noon. I'm running on I70. How tough is this road through he city. I understand about unforseen situations, Is there a good route around he city or is it tolerable. We're going to camp in Strasburg Co tomorrow. We've been hanging around small towns, and the desert for 4 weeks and big city traffic will be a shock!!!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
7 REPLIES 7

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We hit Denver at high noon. The usual big city traffic that moved along at about 45 mph. Smooth sailing. As always, thanks for the help.
Also, that I70 between Denver and Glenwood Springs is certainly an interesting/beautiful/tricky stretch of road.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
No worse than 128 or the Mass Pike any time of day. Relax and enjoy the sights.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
docsouce wrote:
I'll be hitting Denver around noon. I'm running on I70. How tough is this road through he city. I understand about unforseen situations, Is there a good route around he city or is it tolerable. We're going to camp in Strasburg Co tomorrow. We've been hanging around small towns, and the desert for 4 weeks and big city traffic will be a shock!!!!

Let us Know how the Drive was - if you hit it at noon on Wednesday should be a breeze.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Use the traffic app WAZE. I70 usually isn't bad at noon. Usually. But there are always unforeseen circumstances, and WAZE will get you around them.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
docsouce wrote:

Noon will be FIne - Let me give you a Map that will make the last bit out of the Mountains Special.

Left hand exit #244 off I-70 to RT 6 follows Clear Creek through the Canyon with 6-7 tunnels - Just Beautiful then runs right into RT 58 that will run back into I-70 headed out of town.

Map

As with all big towns timing is everything.

One more suggestion - try RT 36 all the way to Hannibal to get back East. Keeps you off the i's for a bit and just keeps getting Better - Little traffic and even fewer trucks. We always take it, going back to Maryland.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
X2. 70 should be reasonable that time of day barring accidents however there is some big construction east of i25. You might check cotrip.org just before you hit town and checkout the traffic cams. If really bad you could jump on i76 to i270 back to 70 bypassing the construction will cost a few miles but could be worth it time wise if the cameras aren’t looking good probably cost you 8-10 miles tops
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
There's no good way around Denver. Stay on I70 and get it over with.