cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida to Townsend, TN

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I'm planning a trip from Florida to Townsend, TN in September. Believe it or not, there is no question about Atlanta. I plan on driving straight through on 75 at an appropriate time. However, my plan is to avoid the Chattanooga area, and exit 75 north of Atlanta and get on Rt 411 north into Maryville, and then turning east onto Rt 321.

It looks like a simple and relaxing drive along 411. Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle
28 REPLIES 28

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
rwess wrote:
Depending on where you are coming from in Florida you might want to consider US-27. It runs from Chattanooga to Tallahassee thru West Georgia. 4 lane highway lots of 65 mph, LaGrange to Columbus is I-185. Atlanta has turned into a nightmare, especially on the southside in Henry County. I live 45 miles from Atlanta and almost everytime I go thru there I have a problem with traffic.

I live a few miles from US-27 in Clermont, FL. I'll have to take a look at that route. Thanks!

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where you are coming from in Florida you might want to consider US-27. It runs from Chattanooga to Tallahassee thru West Georgia. 4 lane highway lots of 65 mph, LaGrange to Columbus is I-185. Atlanta has turned into a nightmare, especially on the southside in Henry County. I live 45 miles from Atlanta and almost everytime I go thru there I have a problem with traffic.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping with friends at Cades Cove. They were headed to Atlanta Speedway and we were headed further south. We split up in Maryville. I took 411 and my friend took I-75. He usually drives 70 or better on the interstate in his motorhome, I drive 65 or less with my fw. I got on I-75 where 411 merges and I gave him a call. To my surprise a little, he was about 4 miles behind me. After about 15 minutes I saw him coming up and passing me. I prefer 411.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
US-411 is scenic and relaxing, and 40 miles shorter.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the replies. I've driven I75through Chattanooga before, but I was looking for something a but more scenic and relaxing. Sounds like 411 may be a little slow though. If I had to pick a place to avoid, it would be Atlanta. : )

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
We live about an hour North of Chattanooga, and I would say that you would have to try really hard to lose more than 10 or 15 minutes going through there, no matter what time of day.

Tail of the Dragon (Clicky) is no place for RV's, no matter WHO'S road you think it is. Anything over 30 feet is now banned. (Clicky)
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have the best route planned out. we travel it all the time and have been doing so for years.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
My choice would be to stay on I75 and take I140 exit in Knoxville, exit I140 to Alcoa hwy 129, bear left after passing the airport and follow the signs thru Maryville and to Townsend.

Too much stop and go on 411 for me. To each their own though.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
I'm planning a trip from Florida to Townsend, TN in September. Believe it or not, there is no question about Atlanta. I plan on driving straight through on 75 at an appropriate time. However, my plan is to avoid the Chattanooga area, and exit 75 north of Atlanta and get on Rt 411 north into Maryville, and then turning east onto Rt 321.

It looks like a simple and relaxing drive along 411. Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

US-411 is not bad, just slow. Road is good with no steep grades or sharp turns. However there are a good number of towns with slow speed limits and traffic lights. And some have a high level of speed enforcement(Benton TN).
Do want to avoid Chattanooga or just enjoy a more relaxed drive?
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Jayla
Explorer
Explorer
You are not afraid of Atlanta but want to avoid Chattanooga? I drive this route quite frequently going north and have never had a problem. However, to address your question, if you go the way you suggest, you will have a lot of traffic on 441, some of it is two-lane and you will have to slow down and stop for every traffic light in every town, and spend a lot of time getting through the Pigeon Forge area. Also there is "no good time" to go north through Atlanta in I-75 unless you go through about 2:00 a.m.. It's not the scenic route either - very bland and boring. Once you get there, though, it's very nice.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see any reason not to take the route you list.
Atlanta is not a big deal. Just stay out of the right lane. It sometimes exits and it may be difficult to merge left.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
I hate Atlanta and we go the easy route. Go I-75 to Macon, Ga.Get on I-16 South for about a mile. Exit onto Rt.129 to 441 at Eatonton or Milledgeville. 441 all the way thru the park. Go up thru Pigion Forge and 321 to Townsend. Yes, its a longer route. Some traffic in Pigeon F. Whatever you do, DO NOT take Rt.129 around the west side of the park. A 10 mile stretch of this road is known as 'The Dragons Tail'. It has, somehow, become the property of car and motorcycle RACERS! They do NOT take kindly to RVs on THEIR road.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:
I wish you luck in Atlanta. I will take Choo Choo town and Knoxville anytime over Atlanta.

Don't disagree. But I see no worthwhile detour around Atlanta. But, I am certainly open to suggestions! 🙂

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I wish you luck in Atlanta. I will take Choo Choo town and Knoxville anytime over Atlanta.