cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gatlinburg and The Great Smoky Mountains

bdhoun
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of taking the family to the Smokie Mountains for 2 weeks next summer. I'm thinking of the Gatlinburg area, but am open for more suggestions. We want to see the sights, do some hiking, catch some attractions and eat out a few times. Please give me some suggestions. We'd love being in the National Park, but for a 10 day stint, I think we would want hook-ups.
'14 Ford F-150 eco screw max tow, 3.5, 3.73's
'16 Freedom Express 257 BHS
and Equal-i-zer
8 REPLIES 8

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Some nice campgrounds in Townsend, TN plus it is very convenient to the park, especially Cades Cove. We've stayed at Big Meadows Family Campground as well as the Little Arrow Resort. Both were excellent. My favorite place to go.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
For any hiking anywhere in the park, get to the trailheads as early as possible otherwise parking is non-existent. By 9:00 am is too late.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Two weeks sounds like a long time. But, for ideas, do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the city, state, or area in the blank space AND let the family (read kids) do some of the planning.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may want to look in the Maggie Valley area...many campgrounds there.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing, unless you get to GSMNP on an off season be prepared for horrific 5 mph or less traffic in Cades Cove itself, not the CG. Makes YNP look like an empty freeway. The worst traffic I know of in a NP.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Alamo
Harpoon Harry's
Bennetts
No way Jose
Pine Mountain RV Park
Iin either in pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
The campgrounds within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park are nice but like campgrounds in most all the National Parks, have no hookups. There are numerous commercial RV parks in the area, mostly in Townsend, Pigeon Forge or Sevierville - - and a few in Gatlinburg close to the park. Generally the closer you are to the park the more expensive the RV parks are.

There are numerous hiking trails and waterfalls to visit within GSMNP, as well as Newfound Gap at the TN/NC state line and Clingman's Dome, the highest point in the U.S. east of the Mississippi. One of your 1st stops should be at the Sugarlands Visitor Center just inside the park, a couple of miles from Gatlinburg. There you can pick up a free newspaper ("Smokies Guide") that has a map of the park and much information about the park including information on Ranger led hikes.

Lots of attractions for the kids, mostly in Pigeon Forge and scores of great restaurants in the area to eat at.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some excellent CG inside the park, Cades Cove is popular along with Elkmont and Smokemont. They call it the Great Smoky Mountains BTW.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper