cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Georgia to Maine

rstoro
Explorer
Explorer
Planning next years late summer trip (late August) would like to go from Ga to Wash D.C. ending up in Maine but would like to go to Boston Rhode Island . Is there a better route going from Boston to Maine without going through New York??

thanks for any info

R & S
12 REPLIES 12

hvbmab
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Circle CG Farm Campground www.circlecgfarm.com in Bellingham, MA. They're close I495 and they're not too far from one of the "T" stations. Make sure you click on the "Attractions and Links" button. It's a busy place but in a good location for visiting RI and the Boston area.
Vance and Maryann - SOWER #2725
Fulltiming since Sept '03 and not ready to stop yet!!

'01 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax towing 2004 Cedar Creek 36RLTS

rstoro
Explorer
Explorer
to clarify our trip we're heading Georgia to Wash. D.C then would like to visit Lancaster Pa area then work our way to the Boston MA and Rhode Island area and end up in Acadia in Maine. We an route our stops either on the way to Maine or back. Thanks for all the info

R & S

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I personally like 287 around the city.

That's the route we take as well.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
I just shot an email to MassDOT to clarify this.

I'd be very interested to see their response as I do know people have been cited. Once you get an answer I would post it in either Roads and Routes or General RVing as it's a question that comes up frequently.

Wonder where the OP is?
I am wondering too. He still hasn't clarified his plans. There are so many different routes. I personally like 287 around the city.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

I'd be very interested to see their response as I do know people have been cited. Once you get an answer I would post it in either Roads and Routes or General RVing as it's a question that comes up frequently.

Wonder where the OP is?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Can you point me to where an RV is considered "hazardous cargo"

Propane falls under the definition of a Class 2 hazardous cargo per the USDOT. The HC signs mean Hazardous Cargo. Members of this forum have been stopped and fined plus I have witnessed it myself.
it isn't consistent between states.

PANYNJ wrote:
Division 2.1 or 2.2
DOES A CAMPER/RV MEET THE REQUIREMENTS FOR M.O.T
• Not over 100 kg (220 pounds) in a cylinder, or
• Not more than 70 gallon water capacity for a non-liquefied Division 2.2 material
with no subsidiary hazard in a permanently mounted tank manufactured to the
ASME Code.

PA Turnpike wrote:
The following materials are prohibited, restricted or permitted in Commission tunnels as per the following chart. Restricted is defined as non-tanker loads, limited to transport in non-bulk packaging of 119 gallons per container or less, as per 49 CFR 171.8.

MASS DOT FAQs wrote:
Why not use the I-93 tunnel?
In the routing regulations, 49 CFR 397.67, in addition to following the
hazmat routes specified by the State, political subdivision or Indian
Tribe, the motor carrier must operate the vehicle over routes which do
not go through or near heavily populated areas, places where crowds
are assembled, tunnels, narrow streets or alleys, except when the
carrier determine that no other feasible alternative exists or that a
deviation is necessary because of an emergency. Thus, the
hazardous material carrier is generally prohibited under federal
regulations from using the tunnel. Under existing state regulations,
Massachusetts has already designated the I-93 and related CA/T
harbor tunnels in Boston as restricted routes prohibiting their use for
the transportation of hazardous cargoes.
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/portals/8/docs/hazmat/FAQ_hazmat_090611.pdf

BUT, At least Maryland is VERY clear. And clearly signed!
MdTA wrote:
Why can't I take my RV or camper through either the Baltimore Harbor or the Fort McHenry Tunnels?

Regulations govern the transportation of certain hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's harbor.

2015 Rockwood Roo 183

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Can you point me to where an RV is considered "hazardous cargo"

Propane falls under the definition of a Class 2 hazardous cargo per the USDOT. The HC signs mean Hazardous Cargo. Members of this forum have been stopped and fined plus I have witnessed it myself.

Douglas Adams

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Bypassing NYC isn't that bad if you do it at the correct time. Stay west of River until past the city.

There is a decent little park near Newport, RI. Melville Ponds in Middletown, RI. You'll be about 70-90 minutes to Boston if you are on a weekend. There are two loops around Boston, I-495 goes wide and 128 is closer in. From Newport to Maine, I took 128 but you have to check traffic and it's time dependent.

There is a nice state forest campground north of Boston that might be an option to drive in for siteseeing Boston. I would find a park and ride location regardless because parking can be even more difficult than driving
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH BOSTON. In addition to being some of the worse traffic in the northeast, the tunnel under the city is a no hazardous cargo tunnel (no propane).

Can you point me to where an RV is considered "hazardous cargo" and prohibited from the tunnels (which hundreds go through every weekend in the summer). I would figure if RVS were prohibited, there would be signs and something on the MassDOT website stating so. Our RVs are not placarded and we do not need a CDL with Hazardous endorsement. The only place I can find information sayong RVs are prohibited is on forums. Forums are not official information.

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/HazardousMaterialRouteDesignation.aspx
2015 Rockwood Roo 183

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. From DC, you want to pick up I81 north. I don't know where you're planning to stay in DC, but 270-70-81 would work.

I81 goes to Harrisburg, and then onto Scranton. You have several choices to bypass NYC metro area. My choice would be I81-I78-I287-I87-I84-I90-I495-I95 into Maine. Alternately, you could stay on I81 to Scranton and pick up I84 there, however, I81 north of Harrisburg is rough and under construction and I84 east of Scranton is frequently down to one lane.

DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH BOSTON. In addition to being some of the worse traffic in the northeast, the tunnel under the city is a no hazardous cargo tunnel (no propane).
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Need a little clarification. Do you mean from DC to Maine without going through New York? And by New York, do you mean City or the whole state?
2015 Rockwood Roo 183

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Do you mean Boston, MA? You don't go through NY to go to Maine from either MA or RI.

Douglas Adams