cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Google Maps

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Has anyone else noticed that Google Maps has absolutely lost it's mind ?
I was looking for the mileage from Madison junction, in Yellowstone, to Bakers Hole CG, just north of W. Yellowstone, now I know it's approximately 14 mi from the JCT. out the West entrance to West Yellowstone & roughly 9 mi. up to Bakers Hole, I was looking for the exact mileage.
Google has always been pretty good, but in this case, it tried to send me all the way down to Jackson in the Grand Teton area, then up Rt 22/33 to Rt 20 up to Bakers Hole, a total of 242 miles & 5 hours ?? :h :S What the heck is up with that.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
28 REPLIES 28

caver
Nomad
Nomad
You can switch back to an older version of Google Maps.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Germania wrote:
...The Garmin would not show the route on the Park roads it kept showing routes outside park.

Was the GPS set to exclude toll roads? Park entrance fees might count as 'tolls'. Digital databases don't make all of the distinctions that we humans expect.

Yes - to the GPS world - roads in National Parks where there is an entrance fee are 'toll roads'.

Google Maps will also exclude such roads as 'toll roads' if you do not update the settings - which are PITA.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I imagine Google made the change because someone(with a lawyer) tried to hold Google liable for being stranded on a closed road during the winter.
Of course it was Googles fault they were stranded, much in the way people blame their GPS when they end up going down a deserted dirt road.
Google simply takes the easy way out and does not route anyone into closed areas during the winter.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The whole google maps site has changed for THE WORSE. And now wants your info to use it. What a joke.

I want the old one back! What the hell were they thinking changing it to something that doesn't even work with twenty different boxes to click etc.

On the original website You could get directions and then click street view and see what it looked like in an instant anywhere on your route. I've yet to find and have any thing work on the new site for a street view that actually works. :

AND I keep seeing 'login in here' or 'sign up now'for certain functions to work, etc.

Ya like I will be loging into google for anything let alone to use their direction/maps. Just another scam to get more info for them to sell off to other companies.

That's why they changed it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Yes this a winter closure issue. Notice also the warning: 'This route includes roads that are closed in winter.'

It won't let me put a destination point anywhere on the West Entrance - Norris - Mammoth road (except the junctions). So that's flagged as closed. Looks like someone entered incomplete, and possibly unnecessary, road closure information for the park.

Ideally it should let you specify when you are traveling, but for now it's taking the 'safe' choice and assuming you want to travel now. Programs like this have gotten a lot a flack for recommending impossible or unsafe routes.

It's definietly a winter closure issue. The old version of Google Maps had a setting to turn this off, but I can't find it right now on the new version.
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Germania wrote:
...The Garmin would not show the route on the Park roads it kept showing routes outside park.

Was the GPS set to exclude toll roads? Park entrance fees might count as 'tolls'. Digital databases don't make all of the distinctions that we humans expect.

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't really using it for navigation at that point, I use it as much for distance and approx. arrival times as anything.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Ditch the GPS and use the easy to read park brochure for getting through the park. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem with my Garmin a couple of years ago, we were in Cody heading to W.Yellowstone thru the Park. The Garmin would not show the route on the Park roads it kept showing routes outside park.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Just another reason I have not used them in all the years since '67 that I have traveled around this great country. I have not been lost or failed to be where I needed to be on time.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes this a winter closure issue. Notice also the warning: 'This route includes roads that are closed in winter.'

It won't let me put a destination point anywhere on the West Entrance - Norris - Mammoth road (except the junctions). So that's flagged as closed. Looks like someone entered incomplete, and possibly unnecessary, road closure information for the park.

Ideally it should let you specify when you are traveling, but for now it's taking the 'safe' choice and assuming you want to travel now. Programs like this have gotten a lot a flack for recommending impossible or unsafe routes.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The road may be closed for weather or construction. This can cause these unusual routings.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I've had them route me around mountain passes and roads that are closed in the winter.

We live in the land of Microsoft, and S&T insists on routing me East from Anacortes, North to Bellingham, before it turns me around, and heads me South to Seattle. It adds about 60 miles. Adding waypoints solves it.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L