cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grades on US 12 in Washington

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been looking on google maps at US 12 in Washington, we will be heading to Packwood from Yakima, in our 29' Class C with toad, looking at the street view, I can see a grade sign, west of White Pass, but I can't make out the grade, any idea what the grade is & for how long? I assume, (I know I shouldn't do that) that it is a main road in the area, any other problems to look for?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
4 REPLIES 4

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
A beautiful drive. Not a lot of traffic on White Pass (US12) as opposed to heavy traffic at certain times on Stevens Pass (US2) and Snoqualmie Pass (I-90). US12: wide shoulders, especially when coming down the west side, and awesome Mt. Rainier photo-opts at/near summit. US-12 and WA20 (North Cascades Hwy - way far north) are my favorite routes over Washington Cascades.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Just did it in the opposite direction. Just a good two lane road with curves and hills that are not extreme. Be sure to fill the tank before leaving town.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Did this route last fall pulling a 30ft. 6500 lb. tt with a Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 with no problems. I thought it was a pleasant drive actually. Don't be intimidated.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I couldn't give you the exact number, but as is typical with these Cascade passes, the climb from the east is more gradual than the drop on the west side. I believe heightwise US12 is lower than US2 (Stevens) but higher than I90. I've only driven it in a car, but it doesn't have a bad reputation.

And what's your alternative? I82 to I90 has a pass, not high, but generally high speed, followed by I90, and a long drive down to the Rainier area. And in the Rainier area, White Pass is the easiest - except for continuing west down the valley of I5. You'll do a lot more climbing in the tow/toad to see the Rainier sights.