cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gulf shores to spring hill, FL - US 98

Vacationer04
Explorer
Explorer
I am traveling next week from Gulf Shores through Orange Beach to Pensacola then US 98 to our destination. We intend to follow the coast as much as possible using the state roads til we get to US 98. Are there any concerns as to highways or bridges that won't allow our 36' Class A & toad? I have seen news coverage of restoration issues along Panama Beach and Orange Beach but don't know if a pass thru will be affected. I don't want to have to a long detour out of the way.
Jim & Linda E.
'04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36WDD, 2 slides
'03 Honda CR-V EX Awd
Demco Kar-Bar & baseplate
Brake Buddy Classic

"Don't tell me it can't be done, just tell me it won't be easy."
"If I can't buy what I need, I'll make it myself."
8 REPLIES 8

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Just past Apalachicola at East Point head across the bridge to St. George Island and camp there. The CG is on the sound side in the woods but take your toad over to the beach. Spectacular!

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/dr-julian-g-bruce-st-george-island-state-park

Farther along, just across Ochlockonee Bay near Panacea is a nice CG, Holiday CG. It's on Ochlockonee Bay (no beach but a nice view) and take the toad down Mashes Sands Road at the flashing light to Mashes Sands Beach. It's a real beach but there's no surf.

http://holidaycampground.com/photo-gallery/

The Big Bend from Alligator Point around to perhaps Clearwater is so low-energy that beaches simply don't happen.

At the Newport Bridge go down to the St. Marks Lighthouse. There's a parking area big enough for you and it's a nice drive across the marsh. No facilities, no camping.

Supplies are up US-319 in Crawfordville and in Perry.
-jbh-

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
We loved US98. Old Florida. Panama City was the only issue. Those "Watch for bears" signs are not to be ignored.

HoHum RV Park in Carabelle is worth a stop. If that's full, there's a decent city park in Sopchoppy.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vacationer04 wrote:
Thanks for the information from everyone. We are definitely going to follow the coastline as much as possible. We have never been to anywhere along the Gulf Coast or Florida before and want to get beached out as at our ages another trip like this may not be something we can do physically or financially in the future. I have a cousin in Spring Hill who has a pad and FHUs for us to spend Thanksgiving there.

No beaches to be easily found after Panama City until you get to the Tampa area. So get your fill before then.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Vacationer04
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information from everyone. We are definitely going to follow the coastline as much as possible. We have never been to anywhere along the Gulf Coast or Florida before and want to get beached out as at our ages another trip like this may not be something we can do physically or financially in the future. I have a cousin in Spring Hill who has a pad and FHUs for us to spend Thanksgiving there.
Jim & Linda E.
'04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36WDD, 2 slides
'03 Honda CR-V EX Awd
Demco Kar-Bar & baseplate
Brake Buddy Classic

"Don't tell me it can't be done, just tell me it won't be easy."
"If I can't buy what I need, I'll make it myself."

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stay with the coast . Life is about the journey ,not the destination !

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
We just did that trip in reverse. No issues and we enjoyed the coast. Were in no hurry and stopped for a night at Grayton Beach SP which is very good. Headed South via 231 to Panama City (4 lane). Yes, there is traffic because this whole stretch is a great area to visit. I wouldn't recommend it if you are in a hurry to get where you are going. We are in a Class C towing.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I'd never want to slog through all that traffic.

I'd take I-10 from US-90Alt west of Pensacola to just past the Marianna exit, then take SR-71 south to connect with US-98 at Port St. Joe. You'll be right along the coast from just west of Apalachicola to St. Teresa, then you'll be swinging inland and stay inland the rest of the way. US-98 from Medart to Perry and US-19 south can be rather boring but the road is good with little traffic. You'll see a pine tree or 10 billion. Traffic will thicken up from Crystal River southwards but then you're most of the way to Spring Hill.
-jbh-

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think you'll have a problem with the roadway. But expect the traffic to be bad from Pensacola until you get past Destin, well past. If you plan to take US 19 south then it is an excellent fast road until you get past Crystal River then it slows to a crawl when you hit the Tampa Bay traffic.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper