cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headed to the Redwoods

jernst1978
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if anyone has any advice reference does and don'ts for pulling my 26' TT through the redwoods, specifically the Av of the Giants, formerly 101 now CA 247 I do believe. And if anyone knows of a park they recommend that would be great too. Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

jernst1978
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. We ended up splitting time between ancient and giant parks. Both Parks we're nice but giant well exceeded our kids expectations with a park, tether ball directly behind our site and as others stated above, ancient was essentially an rv parking lot. People were much friendly and outgoing and many more kids at giant. Ground is a bit unlevel, but nonthing concerning. Only true draw back is a current algae bloom keeping the dog and kids out of the river.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Avenue of the Giants is Hwy 101. No problem with your RV.

Actually the Avenue of the Giants is State Route 254 an old alignment of US 101.

Thanks for the clarification. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We liked Kamp Klamath -- north of Eureka, near Prairie Creek -- very well located. Kind of funky. Not everyone likes it. Check out the reviews. Very cool weather in that area -- cooler than Ancient Redwoods RV Park, south of Eureka. But Ancient Redwoods has newer facilities.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:

Actually the Avenue of the Giants is State Route 254 an old alignment of US 101.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove through there a couple weeks ago. Great drive for just about any size rig. We used to stay at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. No hookups and not big rig friendly, but beautiful. Check their web site for camping size restrictions.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ancient Redwoods park. Roomy, not under trees (good for me), walking distance to groves you won't find in a car. Oh, yes, I see it posted above.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you really want to be in the Redwoods with hiking and a great visitors center I would go to Burlington Camp Ground,no hookups but right in the Redwoods and on the Avenue Of The Giants The picture in my signature is from there.

If you want hookups I would suggest Giant Redwoods still in the Redwoods and on the Eel River about a mile from Burlington and the visitor center,a must see.

Ancient Redwoods is a nice place and the folks in the gift shop are really friendly. But it is a big parking lot.

You should have no problem with your rig on the Avenue of The Giants
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

jernst1978
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly appreciate, and reference the place to stay I found plenty of recommendations in a few other threads.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Its all a pretty nice drive these days no traffic to speak of. Just take you time and enjoy the ride I have never stayed in any of the RV parks on the drive but there are a lot of them. Do try and be courteous and use the pull outs. Even though most folks on that drive are just sight seeing their are some folks that are in a gosh darn hurry.