cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading west to drive hwy #1 south to San Diego?

Bobbyg2013
Explorer
Explorer
I am leaving Kingman, Az, heading west to drive hwy #1 south to San Diego. How far north can I go in order to "catch" this highway before I run into cold weather? I want to go north at least far enough to visit the Hurst Castle. But is it worth it to go even further north than that, i.e, any interesting places to visit north before I turn around and head to San Diego?

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ??READ BEFORE POSTING HERE??" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
6 REPLIES 6

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbyg2013 wrote:
I am leaving Kingman, Az, heading west to drive hwy #1 south to San Diego. How far north can I go in order to "catch" this highway before I run into cold weather? I want to go north at least far enough to visit the Hurst Castle. But is it worth it to go even further north than that, i.e, any interesting places to visit north before I turn around and head to San Diego?

If you want to Stay in California and are willing to Go way north to an often Missed National Park Look at RedWoods National Park.

Well worth the Effort to Visit.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Second the advice to head to Paso Robles to Hearst Castle. We go from Morro Bay to northern Arizona. The route home is 40 to 15 in Barstow, 58 north to Bakersfield where we take 99 north to 46 west to Paso Robles. That section of 48 ends at 101 in Paso. A left turn onto south bound 101 a couple miles to 46 west to 1 just a couple miles south of Cambria and San Simeon.

Heading south on 1 will get you to 101 in San Luis Obispo where 1 and 101 merge. Just south of Ventura you can access the next section of 1 to Santa Monica to Newport Beach. That section from Ventura to the north end of Malibu you’re right on the beach.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

kazmir
Explorer
Explorer
If you are coming over this week, the weather is forecast to be epic. You can come over thru Paso Robles and camp in San Simeon to visit Hearst Castle or even head further up Hwy 1 to the next campground at Plaskett Creek if there are sites. That puts you at the southern end of Big Sur. This is the best time of year to visit for warmer weather.
2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!:B

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
HEARST Castle...William Randolph Hearst. Well worth a visit or two. I’ve visited five times and will visit again. No pressure but please call our castle....”La Cuesta Encantada" ("The Enchanted Hill"). WR gave it to California for inheritance taxes while his family kept the ranch.

Cold weather on the Central Coast? Not hardly. Some might consider Monterey interesting. I do as did John Steinbeck...see Cannery Row...”a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
What time of year?
1/101 is fine to drive all year. Wet, yes but not really cold.