cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me Travel 2 from Eastern Montana thru Western N. Dakota

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Heard with the oil boom going on in this area there are not many (if any) camp sites. We will be traveling from Glacier National Park...

Help me plot the trip through this, I know I should travel during the day and plan on doing just that. Just not sure where to start my day from in Eastern Montana.

Thanks for your time.......
2004 Meridian towing 96 Tracker
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH
7 REPLIES 7

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Since Williston was my home town, very familiar with the area.

I'd agree with Glasgow, MT being open on the west side of things. Your eastern end of congestion should be Minot ND. It's packed solid too.

There is a small campground attached and behind the Cenex station along US 2 at Berthhold ND. It's west of Minot but I have observed openings there while motoring past there.

Rugby ND has a little bit of campgrounds right where ND #3 and US 2 intersection occurs.

Devils Lake has some state parks nearby, that is if the ever rising Devils Lake has not flooded them out.

Grand Forks has a KOA just south of town along I-29. There is also a very nice state park some, oh, about 22 miles west of Grand Forks right on US 2. Turtle River State Park.

US 2 is four lane all the way from the Montana border to way out into Minnesota. Good road.

The Cenex stations previously mentioned are a regional brand but are known for having quality fuels. Rugby, Devils Lake are both right alongside the highway, in addition to the Berthhold site already mentioned above.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks...... You all are REALLY helping us to make this a great trip...
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Headed east Glasgow is about the last town of any size not impacted.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey ND has a city park called West Side. very reasonable, and accessible. Away from the oil boom.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
An excellent stop heading east in Montana is Fort Peck COE park near Glasgow. The sites are huge with manicured lawns. It's a beautiful park. From there you can continue east and get away from the Williston, ND area where the campground shortage is said to be.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Islandman wrote:
There should be some CG's open inside Teddy Roosevelt NP, depends on how soon you're heading that way. And there is a commercial RV park in Rugby ND in the nothern part of the state, east of Minot. Get hold of tourism folks in ND and see what CG's you may be interested in, sightseeing adventures and then plot your travels from there. Lots of traffic in the Sidney MT and Williston ND areas but the highways are excellent so there's nothing to worry about as far as trucks are concerned, and seems it's only about 100 miles or so of oil field activity.

Thanks our trip is not til Aug so there is plenty of time to contact ND tourism.....

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
There should be some CG's open inside Teddy Roosevelt NP, depends on how soon you're heading that way. And there is a commercial RV park in Rugby ND in the nothern part of the state, east of Minot. Get hold of tourism folks in ND and see what CG's you may be interested in, sightseeing adventures and then plot your travels from there. Lots of traffic in the Sidney MT and Williston ND areas but the highways are excellent so there's nothing to worry about as far as trucks are concerned, and seems it's only about 100 miles or so of oil field activity.