cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Horizontal Propane Tanks with Old-Style Valve in AK?

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
Our Lance camper has 2 20-lb horizontal propane tanks. The US DOT grandfathered the old-style valves on these (as long as they are pressure certified, of course).

We've had trouble occasionally in the lower 48 getting a fill because of the old valve. So, we bought one new $160 horizontal tank with the new OPD valve to make sure we could always have at least one filled.

Is the old-style valve going to be a problem in Alaska? What about BC and the Yukon? Is the old valve grandfathered for horizontal tanks in Canada?

Should we buy a 2nd $160 tank?? Yikes!!

Thanks!!!
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal
5 REPLIES 5

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
To address the question, you'll probably need to do some explaining to get your tanks filled at most gas stations or the like. There are at least two places in Los Anchorage and in Squarebanks that are propane distributors that are likely to know the rules about horizontal tanks.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There are horizontal propane cylinders as well so you need to know what you have. If the container has welded on brackets for permanent mounting it is a Tank, if it just sits in a holder and you can take it out to refill, it's a cylinder.

As beaslwd said tanks do not need OPD valves, cylinders do.

In case you want to buy a horizontal cylinder they retail for $255 and are made by Manchester Tank. The product number for the 20# one is 1175TC. Mfg in accordance with DOT 4B, 4BW, and 4E specs. Fill valve and pressure relief are on the end but on top of the end.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
I was told you should not put a OPD valve in a horizontal tank.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

beaslwd
Explorer
Explorer
I've pumped propane in my duties as a camp host.....somebody does not know the propane regulations as well as they should. Horizontal propane tanks are exempt from the OPD regulations. Horizontal tanks used in fork lifts, boats and motorhomes, and other gases used for welding ect.

http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/gasoline-and-propane/propane-safety/propane-cylinder-overfilling-prevention-devices

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Just get the old one re valved with OPD, a friend on the island had his done last year, they would not fill his old valve tanks, yes and they were horizontal tanks also.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.