cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Houston to Destin

Bjsdvm08
Explorer
Explorer
This will be our first long(er) trip with the 5er and I was hoping somebody had some advice as possible places to stop and eat/fuel up etc.
Will be leaving from west Houston and plan on stopping around Lake Charles to grab a bite to eat and top off the tanks if needed. Then pressing on to Tickfaw State Park for the night then on to Destin.
Also route tips wouldn't hurt i.e. places to avoid.
I plan to live forever... so far so good!

TV = 2007 F350 Superduty
5er = 2012 Copper Canyon 292FBHS 35'
6 REPLIES 6

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA in Denham Springs would also be a quick off and on place to stop. It's only 2 minutes from I-12 near the Bass Pro Shop. It has a swimmming pool and dog walk, mini golf.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Tickfaw SP is nice but also way off the highway. If you are only staying the night, you might try Hidden Oaks Family CG at Robert, LA. It is a little pricey for what you get, but the owners are nice and it is clean and it is only 5-10 min off I-12 as compared to 45 to Tickfaw. The little ones might like the pool, playground and ample run around room. There are few rules, but is really laid back so no need for lots of rules.

Bjsdvm08
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the pointers. As for why we are stopping... The reasons are 6, 3, and 1 and they don't travel that well. About 2 - 3 hours is the longest they've spent strapped in there car seats and those times weren't pretty nearing the end.
I plan to live forever... so far so good!

TV = 2007 F350 Superduty
5er = 2012 Copper Canyon 292FBHS 35'

rockportrocket
Explorer
Explorer
Im curious why you chose that state park to stop at? It is about 580 miles and I would do it in one day, but that's just me. But the state park seems strange if you are going to the beautiful Destin.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Love's Travel Stop at exit 151 in Louisiana.
Or if you can wait until Gulfport, MS for fuel, there is a Pilot Flying J at exit 31 in MS. Fuel is a bit cheaper in MS.
Just avoid rush hour on I-12 thru Baton Rouge. We just went through there. Roads a bit rough in some places, just slow down.
If you can drive through Houston, nothing else will be a biggie! LOL
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware of very heavy traffic around B.R. in the afternoon, especially through the 10/12 split. The small roads to Tickfaw S.P. can get a bit tight but aren't really a problem, just follow your directions and signs. You 2nd day Covington through Slidell can have pretty heavy traffic. From there to Destin should be pretty smooth other than Mobile. No specific places to eat or fuel up since we are typically a straight shot with no stops other than a leg stretch.
2014 Berkshire 360QL