cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How late in the fall can one stay in Alaska

KIS_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot leave Indiana until last of July. How late can I stay stay in Alaska without risking bad weather.
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Yes it's near impossible to find a dump station between Oct 1 and May 1.
I had to make one of my septic vents a dump station for early season camping this year.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

aviator
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven the Alcan five times. You should be fine until late September. As others have mentioned, camping facilities will be closed. Anti freeze your holding tanks until you get to warmer temps. The colors of the scenery will be breath taking. Watch the northern lights from Fairbanks before leaving.
aviator

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
tonyandkaren wrote:
We've been to Alaska three times. We've stayed into early October but had to leave because all of the dump stations at gas stations and little towns were closing for the season. I think you should be fine until the end of September and you'll get to see the fall leaves which are beautiful! Have a good trip!

I had not thought of the dump stations being closed. Great point.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Dedication, Sue...dedication!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We've camped the Alaska Highway in December 1998 and enjoyed it so much did it again in 2001. The RV was a bit fussy at -40 though.:D

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Snow can come early - here's a shot from JULY 29th in 2008 headed towards Glennallen - note the "freshies" on the hilltops! Didn't cause any trouble for us, though. ST

Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
The 13 years we lived in Nenana Alaska, just SW of Fairbanks, the first sticking snow of winter, was usually the first week of October, normally about the 5th. So it will be below freezing from that point on till the January thaw which lasts a few weeks, most years, then the bottom falls back out of the thermometers in the Interior of the state.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll often get snow in mid to late Sept. It usually melts if you wait a day or two. As others have said, most of the services and RV parks shut down on Sept 1st. Glitter Gulch at McKinley Park closes up tight on Sept 1st. You can still get gas or diesel, but the fueling points may be a little more spread out. This is the best time of year to see the best bright yellow and red shrubs.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Alaska three times. We've stayed into early October but had to leave because all of the dump stations at gas stations and little towns were closing for the season. I think you should be fine until the end of September and you'll get to see the fall leaves which are beautiful! Have a good trip!
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
By September 1st the snow line is moving down the mountains and you may see snow showers on the higher parts of your roads. Nothing sticking.

However, the campgrounds along the highways will be mostly closed. The towns are still open, but services in the more remote areas will be just about non-existent.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Describe "Bad Weather" some folks live there year around.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.