cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how much cash?

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to leave Central Indiana in mid-May and go basically the northern route (weather permitting) and cross into Canada in Montana. Then through Banff, Jasper, etc to Fairbanks and down through AK back into us in Washington and central route back home. What do you all usually carry in the way of cash for a big trip like this?

I had planned to use mostly Discover wherever I can and only use cash when I have to and nothing else works. Does Discover work the same as in Canada, except for the exchange rate? Just some idea of what to carry would be nice. How about traveler's checks?

Thanks, in advance for all your help! Happy Trails!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!
37 REPLIES 37

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pretty simple plan.
I take a huge bag of money.
When it is half gone, I turn around and head back home.

Alternate plan is to raid an isolated homestead for supplies.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Thanks, swiping at the pump with my Visa PenFed Cash Rewards card gives me cash back.

The required use of a PIN is new to us. In 2013 we did not need a PIN in Canada for our US cards. Is this a new requirement? Does it have anything to do with chipped cards?

PINs are almost mandatory now. I can't remember the last time I used my card without a PIN. Even the places that used to have signatures have switched over.

Couple of other tips:
1) Get cash back when you use your debit card to buy supplies. The banks and ATMs have started to charge ridiculous fees and surcharges.
2) If you need supplies, Canadian Tire is also a good place, especially if you hit a sale.
3) Target will be gone out of Canada before your trip.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, swiping at the pump with my Visa PenFed Cash Rewards card gives me cash back.

The required use of a PIN is new to us. In 2013 we did not need a PIN in Canada for our US cards. Is this a new requirement? Does it have anything to do with chipped cards?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
Can you still pay at the pump?

Yes normally, (providing you have your card(s) set up correctly), but northern BC could possibly be different.

CA Traveler wrote:
And if you over estimate is the excess automatically refunded?

Yes, just as it is in the US. Keep all receipts in case something ever goes awry so you will have something to go back on.

We don't have cash prices here so you don't have to use a debit card. And NEVER leave your card inside a gas station as a deposit. Had that happen a couple of times here and left and went elsewhere.

You could try gasbuddy.com to find the better prices. It can fluctuate quickly in Canada and even at another station a block away.

When gassing up, it's better to do that on a Friday or Saturday as the oil companies typically raise the prices here on Sunday and Monday to snag drivers that are filling up for the work week ahead. Could be different outside the Metro Vancouver area, not sure. Around here you can tell what day of the week it is just by the gas prices... 😞

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 2013 fuel prices in Canada ranged from 125% to 195% of Phoenix prices and I would expect the same in 2015 or more if the exchange rate doesn't change. My 2013 Fuel Log is useful to determine high and low fuel price areas for an Alaskan trip.

Bob

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Upon my travels in the far north, to most of you I am one that is still considered stuck in the stone ages using cash to make purchases as I still to this day never obtained a credit card or established credit, for many personal reasons I feel comfortable with as I have been debt free all my life and had no problems purchasing anything with cash since dealing with society.

Unless I was a businessman or spend a lot of money in the economy (which I don't), then yes I would use a credit card for every purchase possible.

My first trip on the Alaska Highway was in March 1985 and crossed into Canada for the first time, as during the pre interlink electronic era before more reliable connecting with the remote outskirt businesses of Alaska and Northern Canada - the majority of these 'remote outskirt" places did not accept plastic cards back then or would not accept them upon their discretion so cash was and still is king, unlike today where the majority of remote places now accept them because of the improved electronic infrastructure to immediately confirm sufficient funds on a credit card or bankcard account.

But do keep in mind as Sue and Joe mentioned as well as me pointing out the same reason on a past post of this similar topic, particularly in Northern Canada there are still electronic interlink glitches that still happen once in a while shutting down the system from using plastic cards until the system is restored, and other than the typical established remote town type gas station (plastic cards widely accepted) one would might run into a business that will not accept plastic cards in the far north of Canada.

Generally you won't find that problem as much within Alaska reference to well out of town remote type businesses of today, however there are a few out there that still will not accept plastic cards.

I have four different bankcards issued and prefer not to use them for travel other than one (for continental US travel only) so I save on transaction fees, and one other one is my Canadian bank card which I can use that one in the event of an emergency within Canada (which I typically use to withdraw funds at the Canadian bank or a Canadian ATM), as I was sooooo glad to obtain a Canadian bank account since 2011 when in 2009, banks in Canada changed policies upon non account members exchanging foreign cash currency by restricting to lower amounts and finally eliminated that hurdle for which now I can exchange unlimited amount AND get an even better favorable rate for non cash exchange transactions in which my Canadian account is actually two accounts (US funds) and (Canadian funds).

I now generally keep onhand a minimum of $400 Canadian before crossing into Canada and that's because if I go Dawson City way I know I have to purchase fuel before arriving to Whitehorse, while having some onhand spending cash money in Dawson as well, plus if arriving on a weekend it gives me a few days flexibility within Canada before reaching Whitehorse to the bank to re-up at my discretion, while avoiding transaction fees and or exchange fees somewhere else as well.

Also as mentioned time and time again, it is important to have onhand cash for camping fees, commercial laundry machines, shower token/cash slots, etc. whatever is applicable to your needs and a reserve of onhand cash you feel comfortable with while in Canada just in case any plastic card does not work or is not accepted for any reason beyond your control.

A great mention guideline stating bring cash you feel you need (or comfortable with) and double it for a first time visitor in Canada would be ideal.....As the farther north you go in Canada, banks get much farther and farther distant from each other, as you will notice small communities and remote towns will not have banks around.....it is better to have onhand what cash you might not use than to be constraint somewhere needing some cash if a situation arises.

Other than that, plastic cards for most that desire to use them abroad work rather well throughout most areas of Canada and Alaska.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
now that said, in BC Canada, its now Law you must Pre-pay all fuel, if you don't know how much they just put a hold on your card and charge actual no need to go back inside.
Can you still pay at the pump? And if you over estimate is the excess automatically refunded?

Bob

K_Reeve
Explorer
Explorer
this is mostly a going back over the other replies, yes inform your bank of your travels so they don't freeze your cards, when using ATM's look for the Interact and Plus logo's on the back of your card, and the ATM's ( US = Plus , Canada = Interact). Discover cards are far and few between here have a back up.

Know your Pin number for your CC , bank cards, as you will need it to do anything. forget the checks both normal and travelers, they will not likely be accepted in Canada.

Fuel prices expect to spend 30% more ( diesel 1.33 a Liter, Gas 1.03 a liter and its way down here, was 1.35 ) now that said, in BC Canada, its now Law you must Pre-pay all fuel, if you don't know how much they just put a hold on your card and charge actual no need to go back inside.

if you normally carry firearms, bear spray , mace, better check first as you likely wont get across the border.

Pets have there license's up to date along with shots and records on hand.

think that's it, also know that double tow's are illegal in BC as well, so no pulling your RV and boat.

your Wal-Mart = our Wal-mart
your Harbor freight = our Princess Auto with a lot less cool stuff.
and forget our Target stores they share a name that's it.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
oldtrojan66 wrote:
I don't wonder that folks do this trip more than once. With the learning curve involved, seems a shame to waste all that learning on one trip! Happy Camping!
After several years of discussion our 2013 was planned as a once in a lifetime cross it off of the bucket list. Along the way we realized that it was instead a great adventure and we're going back!

Bob

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
just to reiterate, call all credit card companies to let them know where you are traveling, and make sure you call your bank where you have your debit card and tell them too, Our bank had to release some hold or whatever so the card could be used internationally.

Sue
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Don't take travelers checks. People don't even know what they are anymore.

Obviously we don't get out much. Now that we are retired, I hope to change that pretty drastically!

Thanks for all the great replies! I don't wonder that folks do this trip more than once. With the learning curve involved, seems a shame to waste all that learning on one trip! Happy Camping!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember....if you take more than $10,000 into Canada you have to report it! 🙂

As soon as we crossed we went to a Canadian bank and got $300 in cash, including various denominations of coins.

We planned on staying at Canadian Provincial parks and Yukon's parks and many have a fee box for a campsite with no attendant.

We used our Visa card wherever we could (no transaction fee on ours). We didn't use a Master Card or Discover. We found everyone took Visa. We paid for fuel with Visa.

Don't take travelers checks. People don't even know what they are anymore.

After three months we still had some of that $300 left and we used what we could on fuel. We entered near Glacier Nat'l Park and the banks there wouldn't redeem Canadian for U.S. so we dropped the remainder in the park's donation box.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, always have cash. The telecommunications infrastructure isn't solid here and it isn't uncommon for systems to go down, sometimes for a short while but sometimes overnight or for a day.

Plastic won't work, no how. Not even at the bank. So always have some cash, just in case you need to buy fuel or grocery shop, or whatever. It isn't amusing to get into town for some groceries and being told at the store door that it's cash only that day.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Bendder
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Not every establishment honors Discover so I would take an additional Visa card. Also, we just had a card cancelled due to theft and if that happened to your only card it would be trouble.
We get cash at Walmart when we get groceries. Is there a Canadian Walmart equivalent?

Not much in the way places that take Discovery up here. Gave me a laugh but equivilant to Walmart up here is... Walmart
Mark

2011 F150 SCrew Ecoboost max tow max payload
2013 Cougar High Country 329TSB