cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 22 in oregon to Hwy 20 to Bend or.

gamma3116
Explorer
Explorer
I was just wondering if any one has driven over Hwy 22 to Bend Oregon. I will be heading south from Portland Or. on I5 I check the maps and it shows to exit at 253 then take Hwy 22 east to Hwy 126 to Hwy 20 To The towns of Sisters/Bend Or. The map shows those roads to be in the mountains.Is this road ok for RV's? I have a fifth wheel that 39 feet long plus my truck. Leave it to my Wife to change our places were to go. Thanks for any help.

1. WE are going in the first week of Aug.

2. Does any one know the mileage from I5 exit 253 to Sister/Bend
8 REPLIES 8

1SG
Explorer
Explorer
I travel that route when ever I go to Bend. I have taken the trip in my 40' motorhome towing a 24' trailer. You will have no problem, especially in August. It is a very pretty drive.
Paul & Sandy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
'56 Ford Customline Victoria
'62 Chevy Impala SS 409/4spd
U.S. Army Retired
Cloverdale, OR

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If your just trying to get to Bend (vs seeing Sisters on the way to Bend) then consider 26 over Mt Hood - little bit quicker and easier IMO.
Kevin

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
you don't say when you are going... but no matter when you go, the stretch between Stayton and Mill City seems to have the most accidents and the most speeding tickets. They have widened the road to four lane east of Stayton but that is still a "black ice" area. Maybe because it's so flat for a bit.

I always loved the scenic views.. It follows beside the Santiam River from Mill City east to Detroit Lakes. It's uphill but it's a gently uphill. When you get east of Detroit Lakes you'll notice the pull more and the snow piles on the sides of the road become impressive. After you get east of Detroit lakes there isn't much as far as gas, food or a reason to shop... until you get to Sisters.
Kathy

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
It your heading south, two better alternarives come to mind. 26 over MtHood or 58 out of Eugene, well actually a few miles south. 58 is a major highway east. Although I now use 22 exclusively when going east, it is not my favorite route. To me it seens to be a constant climb from Salem. In my 70 years I actually find 26 the best route out of Portland area to central Oregon.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't say when you plan to leave. That is a nice drive when conditions are good.

idaho556
Explorer
Explorer
We took last summer good road just slow going speed limit 50 or 55. If I was to doing I would go the instate . We came fome Boise Idaho.

BendOrLarry
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Bend. As has been mentioned watch tripcheck. The pass can be bad if a storm rolls in. Sometimes chains are required to be carried or they will turn you around. It's clear as of this post, but there can be spots of ice anytime, this time of year.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, OR 22 is a good road. Watch the weather and use Tripcheck for current conditions.
tripcheck

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker