cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-95 Jacksonville, FL to NC

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a long time since I've been on I-95. Just wondering about road conditions and any other things I should know. Thanks...(leaving about 10 April).
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
10 REPLIES 10

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, they are all crazy on I-95. We have been passed on the shoulder when someone was in the left lane. Tailgating seems to be a new art form too. We keep to the right and set the cruise for about 62 and let all the crazies pass us.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
We just drove I-95 between St Mary's, GA and Virginia beach a couple weeks ago. Road surface is fine. It is a very busy road with lots of crazy drivers though. We did not have any issues at all.

Any particular state where they're the craziest?

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove I-95 between St Mary's, GA and Virginia beach a couple weeks ago. Road surface is fine. It is a very busy road with lots of crazy drivers though. We did not have any issues at all.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Did I95 route from VA to Orlando and back in January. Not too many construction zones and not too rough, but I am sure its gotten worse with the freeze thaw this year and expect some construction zones to fix the worse of it at some point.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
yrusoslo wrote:
where are you going in NC?

Winston-Salem area.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
I95N in the southern sections of SC is a little bit scary in spots. You really almost have to stay in the left lane even in a passenger car. Have your cabinets secured well with a TT or 5er. This was in late Feb 2014.

Do you mean by "scary" that the road is very rough? I encountered that situation on I-10 while heading to FL and regret having to endure that again. BTW, I'll be gradually heading towards the Winston-Salem area.
I'm amazed how our RVs stay together on some of these roads. :E

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I95N in the southern sections of SC is a little bit scary in spots. You really almost have to stay in the left lane even in a passenger car. Have your cabinets secured well with a TT or 5er. This was in late Feb 2014.
Puma 30RKSS

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
I-95 is good , but busy.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going up the NC coast consider taking taking 17N at about exit33 after entering SC. Takes you to Charleston ( there is a bypass ) then on to Myrtle Beach. At 544 in MB you can get on 31 to get around MB and NMB to NC.

My daughter and family are in Jax and we drive that route 5-6 times a year. Gets you off 95 and a lot more scenic.

If you are going to central NC or in a hurry then take 95, it is a pretty good road all the way. If going to Western NC you might want to take I20 ( I think ) in SC headed West. Someone else can tell you better about that, I am from the flat lands.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
where are you going in NC?