cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm a first time northeast driver and I'm uneasy..

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
Which is a better route around NY City area for a 42ft motorhome and towing.

I've never driven our rig (or a car for that matter) anywhere near northeast United States and need some help. Which route is better for a big rig: Allentown, PA to Portsmouth, NH.

A) From Allentown: I-78 East to I-287 North then I-87 North to Newburgh, NY then East on I-84 then East on I-90 to I-495 North to I-95 North.

B) From Allentown: I-476 North to Lehighton then East on 209 to Stroudsburg continue on 209 northeast to Milford near I-84. Then east on I-84 to I-90 East then I-495 North to I-95 North.

I'm also wondering: Where are any halfway decent/good rv parks along either route?
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II
29 REPLIES 29

live4thedash
Explorer
Explorer
We live in NH. We were in Allentown back in Aug returning for a xcountry trip. We did the 287 route that others have mentioned. It kept out of the city. After that the ride was uneventful up through CT, MA and into NH.

StephJohn2010 wrote-though. I'm not looking forward to crazy drivers

Well then.... stay far, far away from NY Traffic! :B

I had to say it!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
StephJohn2010 wrote:
RVUSA wrote:
42 feet and first time driving an rv? wow buy some driving gloves, you are bound for blisters otherwise. It will take a while until you experience most of the things that happens on the roads with a big rig so just stay relaxed.

OP here: I am green, but I have driven from South Dakota to Ventura, Ca to Phoenix, Tucson to Denver, to Oklahoma City, to Baton Rouge. So some experience but I realize I have many many years before I'm considered good/comfortable. Hence me being uneasy about the Northeast area that I have zero experience with. All I know is there is A-Lot of people over there. We plan on going to Gettysburg to Maine in the future.

I wasnt suggesting you didnt have any prior long haul driving experience with cars, just big rv's.

They are slow to respond when compared to cars. They take off slow, they turn slow, and they stop slow. It's the lack of the panic speed maneuvers that will get you blisters. You would not believe the amount of people that will pass you and then cut in to your lane with barely inches to spare and then slow down. You'll learn where your brake is first.

Remember to go out into the intersection as far as you can before beginning the turn or you'll wipe out the stop signs. Dont ask me how I know that one. :B

No problem. Just to clarify the conversation though, I drove our RV to all the destinations above so I have 4 or 5 thousand miles of big rig driving under my belt. Again, not enough to be considered good/comfortable though. I'm not looking forward to crazy drivers, I got enough of that around Dallas/Ft. Worth. Thanks for the tips.
John & Steph

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here: I am green, but I have driven from South Dakota to Ventura, Ca to Phoenix, Tucson to Denver, to Oklahoma City, to Baton Rouge. So some experience but I realize I have many many years before I'm considered good/comfortable. Hence me being uneasy about the Northeast area that I have zero experience with. All I know is there is A-Lot of people over there. We plan on going to Gettysburg to Maine in the future.

With all the other driving things to watch for as mentioned by others the east also has low clearance bridges and tunnels. And coming from another part of the US that typically does not have these obstructions, they can surprise! The Motor Carrier Truckers Atlas provides the obstructions and locations on the roads that big rigs typically travel. The book Next Exit provides a wealth of information on fueling stations and what is at the next interchange. Both are very minimal costs and a wealth of good information. The standard car GPS is good for distances and estimated times to destination but be very careful as that GPS can put you onto roads that you simply do not want to be on with a big rig. Impatient people will be behind you, that is just a fact of life in much of the east.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
StephJohn2010 wrote:
RVUSA wrote:
42 feet and first time driving an rv? wow buy some driving gloves, you are bound for blisters otherwise. It will take a while until you experience most of the things that happens on the roads with a big rig so just stay relaxed.

I wasnt suggesting you didnt have any prior long haul driving experience with cars, just big rv's.

They are slow to respond when compared to cars. They take off slow, they turn slow, and they stop slow. It's the lack of the panic speed maneuvers that will get you blisters. You would not believe the amount of people that will pass you and then cut in to your lane with barely inches to spare and then slow down. You'll learn where your brake is first.

Remember to go out into the intersection as far as you can before beginning the turn or you'll wipe out the stop signs. Dont ask me how I know that one. :B

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
ez pass is a good tip. Pennsylvania, Indiana, Ohio, new york, massachusetts, Illinois and probably others accept it.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
klm wrote:
I am a SD fulltimer from NJ. Lots of good route suggestions already. Do you have an EZ Pass? If not, get one. It makes getting through toll booth lanes much easier - otherwise you are hunting for a CASH lane and it is never easy to get to it and it has a long line. I got my I Pass (EZ Pass) from IL - go to their website - very easy to fill out application and you will receive a transponder that you can transfer from mh to toad. Trust me, it you don't have one and you plan to do any northeast driving - you will be so glad you have it.

you can overnight at the CT Welcome Center near Danbury on I 84

Great, Thanks. I'll check out the pass 🙂
John & Steph

klm
Explorer
Explorer
I am a SD fulltimer from NJ. Lots of good route suggestions already. Do you have an EZ Pass? If not, get one. It makes getting through toll booth lanes much easier - otherwise you are hunting for a CASH lane and it is never easy to get to it and it has a long line. I got my I Pass (EZ Pass) from IL - go to their website - very easy to fill out application and you will receive a transponder that you can transfer from mh to toad. Trust me, it you don't have one and you plan to do any northeast driving - you will be so glad you have it.

you can overnight at the CT Welcome Center near Danbury on I 84
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
StephJohn2010 wrote:
darsben wrote:
B) has way less traffic so during the week I would go that way..

When you get to Stroudsburg you will find 209 closed to all commercial traffic. This is not a weight restriction but an esthetics closure.

See route 209 here about half way down the page.

So this tells me that there may be some low hanging branches maybe then on 209 NE of Stroudsburg. Which way do truckers go then? Up I-80/I-380 towards Scranton?? That would add 50 miles, but maybe good for me to lessen the white knuckle stuff.

I80 t0 380 is the truckers route. There is a long steep uphill grade going from Stroudsburg to 380. There is a special slow lane as well for under 45 MPH.

If you need no services there is an outlet mall with RV/BUS parking area where you could overnight. Tannersville exit make a right and then the first left. The outlets are on your right and the RV/Bus parking was on the left 6 months ago.
IF you have a lady with you she might enjoy the shopping.

Great Thanks 🙂
John & Steph

StephJohn2010 wrote:
darsben wrote:

When you get to Stroudsburg you will find 209 closed to all commercial traffic. This is not a weight restriction but an esthetics closure.

So this tells me that there may be some low hanging branches maybe then on 209 NE of Stroudsburg. Which way do truckers go then? Up I-80/I-380 towards Scranton?? That would add 50 miles, but maybe good for me to lessen the white knuckle stuff.

most of the big trucks do go north on 33 to either 80.. or 380 to 84
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
StephJohn2010 wrote:
darsben wrote:

I80 t0 380 is the truckers route. There is a long steep uphill grade going from Stroudsburg to 380. There is a special slow lane as well for under 45 MPH.

If you need no services there is an outlet mall with RV/BUS parking area where you could overnight. Tannersville exit make a right and then the first left. The outlets are on your right and the RV/Bus parking was on the left 6 months ago.
IF you have a lady with you she might enjoy the shopping.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:

John & Steph

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:

John & Steph

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer