cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Il to Bristol

djcjc
Explorer
Explorer
Plan is to leave tomorrow at about 6pm drive thru the night to Bristol to spend weekend at Nascar race. Planning on sleeping thru the day tomorrow then leave in evening have done this in the past helps avoid traffic in major cities all interstate driving. Wife has to work tomorrow but I am recently retired. Weather will not allow me to unwinterize until I get there and have to worry about water freezing thurs night in Bristol figure I will shut off water and drain hose for that night and re hook in morning. Now weather says we may get 8 inches of snow between tonight and mid day tomorrow. This winter sucks not sure what to do now it takes me 11 hours to get there I dont drive over 65 mph usually about 62 mph.
7 REPLIES 7

Thanks Merrykalia , we are trying to see if we can swing the dates , the Sunday before is the day we get back home from our 3 week trip.. The hard part will be talking DW into leaving that soon after......
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy, do you want to be right at the racetrack? If not, check out Natural Tunnel State Park in VA. It is almost exactly a one hour drive to the track and it gets you out of the hu-bub of the racetrack. $30/night with no minimum stay.

There are usually 10-15 race fans that camp there during the fall race.

(We are the camp hosts in August, so we see the ones coming in late on Friday and Saturdays for the race.)
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Forddude11
Explorer
Explorer
Ford truck guy - pm sent

We just talked about this last night.... I contacted the track and All American to find out they both have sites available for the August race... Is there a better spot then others? The All American has some 50 amp available for $550.00 for the week... And the race has 2 separate areas available , the drag strip and one other..... Both in the mid$150.00.... Any thoughts ?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I am about an hour north of Bristol and I watch it on television!! We have gone a few times, but the best seat is in front of my 55" TV.

They are calling for us to have rain, turning to snow on Wednesday night with a possible accumulation of 3" and high on Thursday to be 39. Not much snow, but it can make traveling to Bristol a PITA.

Weather for the weekend is looking pretty promising with 60's forecasted. Hope you enjoy the race and spend lots of money while you are in the area.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Attending the Bristol race is on my to do list. Did Daytona for many years but it is one boring race. Really liked Atlanta, need to go back there. Darlington is also on my list of races to see when I can make it.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy. We had been going to the spring Bristol race every year beginning in 1999 and we stopped going in 2011. Since repaving the track the racing just wasn't the same for us. More than that though we'd simply gotten the Bristol experience out of our system. At least to the extent that we weren't willing to pay the big money for our tickets and full hookup site at the track and being forced to buy summer RV sites and tickets we could no longer get rid of. This will be our third spring not to go to Bristol. We're beginning to consider going again in a couple of years possibly if Bristol has changed their ticket and RV site purchase requirements. We sure enjoyed ourselves. During the 12 years straight we went to the spring races, we experienced weather that from year to year ranged from hot...cold...wet...dry...& snowy. And we always had a blast. Every year we were nearly the last if not the last campers out of the campground overlooking the drag strip. We didn't want the week to be over.

Enjoy your time at Bristol. I'm thinking by the 2016 spring race we may head back up there if we can buy just spring tickets and RV sites withiout being forced to buy the summer package as well.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER