cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kamloops BC to Mesa Az

ValkRider
Explorer
Explorer
We're driving down to Arizona at the end of Jan for the first time and pulling our trailer. Any recommendations as to the best and safest route to take? We are looking for campgrounds to use on the way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Ron & Penny
9 REPLIES 9

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the current weather, 97 south to Washington, and then south on US97 and/or WA17 should be safe and easy - and avoid the urban border crossings and freeways.

Like BC, inland Washington can be colder than the I5 corridor, but it also tends to be drier.

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
We do that trip every year and are on our way right now. We now always go down I5 to Northern California and then down 99 to Bakersfield then west to Phoenix. You just don't have to worry about Weather except for getting to Vancouver. We now go Trans Canada hiway to Vancouver so no worries about The Coqihalla.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the thread about going the other way, southern Calif to Spokane.

ValkRider
Explorer
Explorer
Thank everyone. I've mapped out all the routes, now it's up to the weather reports.
Ron & Penny

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, US 93.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Go east on I-84 to Twin Falls, ID and then south on US 95.
Anyway you go expect some nasty snowy weather.
I think that's US93 you want. That's the way we usually go, as the climbs are pretty gentle. Agree about the snow. Check the weather especially for I-84 (Pendleton to Caldwell) and US 93 (Jackpot to Wells, Wells to Caliente). I've been in some nasty weather on those routes, and US93 is pretty remote -- not a good place to go in the ditch.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could come straight south on 97, cut off on WA 17 near Brewster. Travel south on WA 17 to US 395 near Mesa, WA. Continue south to Umatilla, OR. Go east on I-84 to Twin Falls, ID and then south on US 95.
Anyway you go expect some nasty snowy weather.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ValkRider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Bob
Ron & Penny

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
5, 210, 10 might be the best especially in Jan with weather a factor. There are various points that you could cut over to the coast to avoid closed roads. But this route is longer than a more direct route.

Maybe consult your crystal ball as to road conditions. :h
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob