Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lake City from the south

rebelopie
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all!

We are taking our girls to a week-long summer camp in Lake City, CO this summer. We have decided to bring our trailer along and camp in the area for that week while they are at camp. We had planned to camp around Lake City so that we would be close if there were any problems. However, the summer camp staff recommended we not take our trailer over Slumgullion Pass.

I have towed our trailer to Silverton from the south several times without any problems. I have only been to Lake City via Engineer Pass in the Jeep so am completely unfamiliar with what the terrain is like south of Lake City. I don't want to tear up our tow vehicle if the road is too steep but don't want to complicate the trip either by having to drop the trailer in say Creede, take the girls to camp, then come back to Creede to camp somewhere else.

Advice?

-TJ
Past:
2001 Alfa Gold GF34RLIKBS
2006 T@B T-16L Towed with 1996 Lincoln Town Car then 2005 Dodge Dakota

Current:
2011 Skyline Nomad 248 towed with 2009 Jeep Commander
9 REPLIES 9

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in Lake City just last week. Came over Slumgullion from the south. Going up was easy even with full load of 100gal water since the CG we were going to had not turned on their water yet. Drive by RPM. In my case, between 2000 & 2300, no matter the gear for best torque & no overheating.

Coming DOWN from Slumgullion, now that is another issue. Stay in low gear & don't ride the brakes. It is one heckuva long grade & steep. Trailer brake drums were quite warm by the time we got to the bottom but we never stopped on the way to let them cool like the time before when too much brake load was on the truck & we had to stop for smoking truck brake pads.

Drive to suit the conditions & your equipment. Don't worry about the line of cars that may build up behind. Too bad for them. They will have to wait. Better to go slow than try to drive like there is no trailer, crash, & close the road for everyone.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Cyndi_H
Explorer
Explorer
The road down into Lake City is a heavily-used highway, and should be no problem with a trailer/RV. We've done it numerous times, and have seen hundreds and hundreds of people do it every summer. AS for Creede - there's one RV park south of town - it's huge - but if you like Forest Service campgrounds, there's a good one at Marshall Park right on the Rio Grande as you're heading west. Palisades is also nice, but the wrong direction from Creede.
My blog: Wanderlust

'08 Keystone Sprinter 250RBS travel trailer
'10 Nissan Titan

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
A different idea. I would stay in he Ouray area, rent a Jeep and take the kids over to Lake City. When we were living in Ouray I would take our girls and some of their friends over to Camp Red Cloud and a week later, go get them. Sometimes using Engineer and other times Cinnamun Pass. For camping in the area we normally stay in Gunnison at the KOA or one of the campground on Blue Mesa Res. probably have been to Lake City several dozen times but never camped there. Or I would consider staying in Silverton, rent a Jeep, go up north to Animas Forks, turn right over Cinnamun Pass and go to Lake City.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Lake City lasy year from South Fork and Creede. I was surprised at how nice the road was. I expected gravel. I talked to an older man at Amarillo and they were preparing to head that way. What ever rv park they were staying at didn't open until May 1. If I remember right they were pulling with a light pickup and pulling a TT. He was not worried at all. I would go for it but take it easy.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

rebelopie
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of the advice! After reading all this and "driving" the route on GoogleEarth, I've decided not to chance it. Since I have never been over this pass before, it just makes me nervous. Once I drive over it in just the Jeep, I'll have a better feel for it for the next time. Now, time to start a thread on Creede campground suggestions! 🙂

Thanks again, everyone!!

TJ
Past:
2001 Alfa Gold GF34RLIKBS
2006 T@B T-16L Towed with 1996 Lincoln Town Car then 2005 Dodge Dakota

Current:
2011 Skyline Nomad 248 towed with 2009 Jeep Commander

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you towed from the south (Durango) to Silverton, you'll have no problems coming from the south on 149 to Lake City as long as you're confident in your vehicle. You're a 4-wheeler & have done Engineer Pass so the road itself won't bother you. Only you know how your vehicle is towing. Many RVers go to Lake City so it is very doable. Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Data from a CO DOT web page is

http wrote:
Slumgullion

SH 149

11,361’

9.4% N; 7.9% S

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
If your trailer is "sized correctly" for your jeep, I don't think you will have any trouble at all.
I made the drive 2 summers ago and did just fine. Never pulled a rv over a pass like Slumgullion.
Going up from the south, the pavement got a little rough. There were a lot of pavement cracks across the road. Just slowed down to about 20-30 mph so that the me and the rig wasn't being shook up. Enjoyed the ride going up. Lots of curves!
Going down from the pass, I was told some of the steepest grades would be about 10%. I put transmission in first gear and it held the rig very well. Once in awhile it might speed up slightly, slight tap of brakes would correct the speed.
Also, going down, most curves are 20 to 25 mph curves. First gear was perfect. Just take your time.
There is very little traffic and plenty of room for others to pass you.
I arrived in Lake City with no hot brakes.
Would do it again! No problem for me.
My rig weighs right at 19,000lbs.
While in Lake City, ask where to go to see Moose! Should be back up on the mtn.
Hope this is helpful!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Slumgullion Pass is over 11,500'. The north side is proclaimed to be the steepest grade of any paved road in Colorado at 9%. South side is not as steep but still a pretty good climb.
I have only driven over it, not towing. The road is pretty good, or was a few years ago last time I was over it. But I would not tow it unless I felt sure my tow vehicle was VERY capable of towing that hard. It is a long way between services along that road.