cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

language barrier

WESIII
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who frequent SOB winter destinations. Do you all speak Spanish as a second language? For those of you who cannot speak Spanish, do you find it difficult to communicate? Just wondering if
not speaking the language would make Mexico a bad choice for us?
Bill
31 REPLIES 31

crandle
Explorer
Explorer
Gracias, Chris! ๐Ÿ˜‰

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
crandle wrote:
Our first trip or two into Mexico, we knew NO Spanish. We made out fine, finding that many/most Mexican people know at least a little English. We soon picked up a few words here and there and now, after six winters travelling throughout every State of Mexico, can make ourselves understood in most circumstances.

I can vouche for that!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

crandle
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trip or two into Mexico, we knew NO Spanish. We made out fine, finding that many/most Mexican people know at least a little English. We soon picked up a few words here and there and now, after six winters travelling throughout every State of Mexico, can make ourselves understood in most circumstances.

ThreeToGo
Explorer
Explorer
We so amend 4x4times2 comments. In 2009 we made our first major trip to mainland Mexico. We could only count to ten. Our Spanish was basically limited to taco and tequila. The only sentence we could utter was one our daughter taught us: Donde esta bano?

We entered Mexico at Brownsville, TX and circumvented the country. We later termed this our "todo las playas (all the beaches)tour. We drove about 6000 miles and had absolutely no problems.

We did not understand the language or the money. Often times we just held out the pesos and they took what was fair. We don't think we were never cheated.

We're a couple of senior citizens. After we got home we ordered Rosetta Stone's Latin Spanish. We hadn't finished the first unit before we headed to Panama. Again, we made it to Panama and back with absolutely no problems.

Go for it!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can get by, but at least learn the numbers, it makes things easier. Maybe consider a commercial caravan for your first trip to learn the ropes, there are 3 or 4 down the west coast next season & at least one to Yucatan and several down Baja.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Both of us speak NO Spanish. We have never had a problem and have traveled more than two thirds of Mexico. Someway we are always able to communicate. Too many aids (phrase books, software, electronics & other people) available to stop someone from traveling because they can't speak the local language.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
Long ago a Mexican lady in a Ciudad Victoria RV parkland said you only need two words in Spanish - Conde and canto.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
We have never found Our Lack of Spanish to be a problem.

As a matter of fact in my opinion the Mexican people speak English better than many of the People that I have met in Canada or the USA!

When We try to speak what little Spanish We do know , we are always treated with courtesy and respect, and always manage to get the right answers to Our requests!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

WESIII
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your very helpful replies. We thought as much, but needed to hear it from seasoned travelers. :W Thanks again...

Bill

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't Peru or Argentina or Nicaragua. In places a newbie is likely to go having someone close by, bi-lingual is crucial for "negotio" business (ventas) sales, and el saldo de banco (bank balance). I spoke "Ingles" yesterday for the first time in four or five months (I stumbled on verbs).

Be patient and smile. Here in Mexico the idea of a turista sans la idioma is actually expected. I've run into situations where the tourist speaks Spanish and the Mexican responds in English. It is hilarious. Both are practicing.

But the ability to not speak Spanish should not enter your vaguest doubts. I was so uneducated about the languages 50 years ago I had no idea that the word "No" was identical in both languages. I had to ask!

Mexicans are gracious unlike the French with the butchering of their tongue. Even a botched attempt a fledgling flapping of Spanish will be received with a pleased smile. Mexicans see it as a definite sign of respect and that will bridge almost any obstacle.

"Ay me yoy para mi cuรฑado" doesn't sound like much but it means a person is going to round up his brother-in-law who just returned from the states.

Technical doctor spanish is not easy even for me. I cannot even figure out what my USA doctor wants to say half the time. Don't feel bad. Young ladies are absolutely the worst for attempting to understand "foreign looking folk speaking Spanish"

A young lady kept replying ยฟMande? ยฟMande? (What? What?) to my questions about whether they carried gringo ketchup. Mexicans standing in line rolled their eyes. Finally I said "ยฟTe hable Espaรฑol?" (Do you speak Spanish?) to get her attention. She turned beet red, then instantly answered the question. The Mexicans in line, were howling in glee. So don't let it get to you if a young girl acts like you just fell off a flying saucer. Someone will help you, trust me.

When I go places where only Indian idioma is spoken (lots of off the beaten track places) I have to search for an indigena who speaks for instance Tzotzil and Spanish. I do not let it stop me a bit.

Part of the reward you are going to get are the fond memories of folks who will stand on their head to be able to communicate with you!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
wildtoad wrote:
Years ago My wife and I were on a cruise and she suffered a mild stroke and we were put off the ship in Peru where she went into the hospital. Very few people spoke English and those that did weren't around much. Very Very frustrating. So I made a decision to avoid places that don't speak English. Of course that means certain parts of the USA now.

Why would you expect people in Peru to speak English? :h
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

4x4times2
Explorer
Explorer
kca87 wrote:
My husband speaks almost no Spanish and I speak a little. Knowing words like "por favor", "gracias", "buenos dias/tardes/noches" is always nice. If you show an attempt, most Mexicans will work very hard to understand you. Just learn a few basic polite words like these and it will be so much more appreciated and it's not very hard at all.

To add to those words: cerveza, taco and bano. You can travel all over mexico with just these few words and a good sense of humor. Numbers are good also, then you can construct a sentence. "Dos cervezas por favor...Gracias!"

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
A really excellent voice translate app is called: Voice Translator (for Android phones, etc). I have it installed on my Samsung, along with the Speech Synthesis app. I set it up for several languages. Just choose the language you want to translate to, speak into your phone, then play back the nice translated voice to whoever you want to talk to. They then speak into the phone, and it plays back the translated voice (I tried French, Spanish and Portuguese, and it works flawlessly).

S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly wouldn't let a language barrier stop us from visiting any part of the world. Keep a phrase book and dictionary with you and you'll manage fine. Spanish is not difficult to learn and is the most studied language in the world so resources for learning it are widely available. Spanish is now the second most spoken language in the world with mandarin being first and english now third. I learned spanish as an adult with little difficulty and a lot of perseverance. When you travel in Mexico you are in the perfect environment to learn the language. Every sign, every supermarket, Television, news. The first month is a little intimidating but thinks fall into place pretty quick after that. Make it a goal, part of the trip, have fun with it. Great language, great country.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
My husband speaks almost no Spanish and I speak a little. Knowing words like "por favor", "gracias", "buenos dias/tardes/noches" is always nice. If you show an attempt, most Mexicans will work very hard to understand you. Just learn a few basic polite words like these and it will be so much more appreciated and it's not very hard at all.