cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Las Vegas NV to Austin TX, Best Route ?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MapQuest shows going all the way down to Yuma Arizona and than over to Austin TX, but the route down to Phoenix is a 2 lane road called 93, that's a slow road if you get behind a slow moving truck.

So I was wondering instead of going thru Flagstaff and into Albuquerque and taking what route after that.

What would be the best route..

:C
16 REPLIES 16

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
timmac wrote:

93 is a killer road.

If you haven't been down 93 for several years, they have made quite a bit of it divided highway and much safer. Yes, there are still some lengthy stretches of 2 lane, but there are passing lanes every few miles.

Personally, we drive 93 twice a year, and haven't had any problems. It's the fastest route from LV to Austin. It's also quite scenic in some places.

By all means, avoid going all the way to Yuma. I can't understand why it would route you all the way down there.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
MapQuest shows going all the way down to Yuma Arizona and than over to Austin TX, but the route down to Phoenix is a 2 lane road called 93, that's a slow road if you get behind a slow moving truck.

So I was wondering instead of going thru Flagstaff and into Albuquerque and taking what route after that.

What would be the best route..

Many ways to go,I have taken all of them,93 is a killer road even after being widen and lots of four lane. I would take Las Vegas to Lake Havasa City, Az. Don't buy fuel in Needles, Lake Havasa City, down to Parker, lots to see, Parker to I-10 at Quartzite, Az. I-10 to 85 just west of Phx,( you do not want to get into Phoenix traffic, half the time I-10 from Phx to Tuscon is closed for hours) 85 is now four lane to I-8, I-8 east to I-10 than TX. If you want to look at semi rear doors you may want to take another route.
So big a world, so little time to see.