cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Las vegas to Grand Canyon on to Sante Fe

thankdog
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Las Vegas for an event for 5 days and want to stop to see Grand Canyon on our way back east - we would hit GC end of first week of April. Suggestions on CG and routes? Considering seeing Flagstaff, Window Rock, Hyde Memorial, etc....along route afterwards.....ideas, CG and suggestions welcome!

Travel in 40' A class towing Jeep with dogs.

TIA

Lynn
Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Dog show mobile + Jeep 4-DR Wrangler toad
17 REPLIES 17

IA_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynn,
I suggest 64 to 89N to Page and make a stop at Antelope Canyon (about 4 miles E of Page on 98). Navajo's charge an admission but worth it, we liked Lower canyon.
Side trip to Monument Valley then south via cut-off to Many Farms. Make sure you spend time at Canyon DeChelly National Monument, it is overlooked by most travelers.
Acoma is very interesting.
Be advised that Flagstaff and Hyder Memorial SP are high elevations and probably have a lot of snow in April.
Safe Travels,
Rich

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
thankdog wrote:
We are in Las Vegas for an event for 5 days and want to stop to see Grand Canyon on our way back east - we would hit GC end of first week of April. Suggestions on CG and routes? Considering seeing Flagstaff, Window Rock, Hyde Memorial, etc....along route afterwards.....ideas, CG and suggestions welcome!

Travel in 40' A class towing Jeep with dogs.

TIA

Lynn

Lynn,

I'd stay in the CG if you can get a spot - then out through Rt 64 towards Page/Antelope/Lake Powell then to Monument Valley - down to Canyon de Chelly - Window Rock - Carlsbad - then the long drive across Texas to San Antonio - along the Gulf and Home.

April tends to still be cool along I-70 and the chance of snow is still strong in the Mountains, but if you see a good opening in the weather I would not be afraid to get into Colorado - Truly Beautiful 12 months of the year.

Hope this is of some help,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
You will want to go to the South Rim - Grand Canyon Village. Make reservations at Trailer Village asap.

The obvious route is the I40 and I25 - boring (for the most part) and can be windy. If you have time I would go the 25-550-64-160-89-64 route stopping at Monument Valley to get there.

Not sure why you are stopping where you are but you must have reasons.

About 40 miles west of Albuquerque is the Acoma Pueblo. We have been to many pueblos but this is on top of a mesa and very interesting. And Santa Fe is great.

JMHO.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times