cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linville Falls, NC to Fancy Gap, VA

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for routes for a 40 foot class A towing a full size pickup. We will be staying at Linville Falls, NC next week and spending some time riding our Harley on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Our next stop will be Fancy Gap, VA.

Do I need to retrace my route back to Marion NC and pick up I-40 to I-77 or is there a safe reasonable way for me to get from Linville Falls to Fancy Gap, VA? Maybe US421 to I-77? But how to get to US-421?

Looking for those suggestions from those with real life experience. I have used Google maps and can see the routes on my screen but that doesn't tell the whole story. Thank you!
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
13 REPLIES 13

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Original poster here - we ended up staying 7 days in the National Park Linville Falls Campground, Site A06. There were really only two sites that a rig of our size fit into A06 & A09. Really enjoyed it.

We came in on US 221 North from Tom Johnson's down in Marion, NC.

By the time we left, we changed our plans are decided to head for Greeneville TN.

Departure Route:
North on Blue Ridge Parkway for less than 5 miles
Cut over to Hwy 181 North
Left on US 221
Right on SR 194 which later joins US 19E to US 321 to I-26
Departure route was a much more pleasant drive than the drive in on US221.
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
I assume your taking 221 from Marion to linville,I would just take 221 from linville to 105 into boone and pickup 421 in boone.You can ride it on your bike and decide yourself,you can get to the blueridge parkway from several places and ride it back to linville. Good luck safe travels. .

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
well, good luck. again my choice would be the parkway. there are many RV using it so, I would not expect a problem.
if you do choose it, just after you cross over I77 it should be the next exit off the parkway. less then 1 mile.

just wondering, why Fancy Gap? unless you plan on US52 north or south there is not much there.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
looks to me like US221 North to Boone where you can pick up US421 then East to I77 North. Boone is a college town, Appalachia State U. not sure when school is out, but should be ok. or the parkway to US421.

is the Blue ridge parkway way out of the question?

it would be the best most scenic route. 2 weeks ago when I was on it the traffic was very low. but again, not sure about the size of your rig.

40 foot class A per original post.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
looks to me like US221 North to Boone where you can pick up US421 then East to I77 North. Boone is a college town, Appalachia State U. not sure when school is out, but should be ok. or the parkway to US421.

is the Blue ridge parkway way out of the question?

it would be the best most scenic route. 2 weeks ago when I was on it the traffic was very low. but again, not sure about the size of your rig.
Ham radio - WU4S

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
take US421 to I77 - then I77 North to Va. Take exit 8 - go right to Fancy Gap.

or

take the BlueRidge Parkway to Fancy Gap, VA

We live in Mount Airy NC and have done this many times.

I would take the parkway, but not sure about your big rig.

how do you recommend I get to US421 from Linville Falls?
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
take US421 to I77 - then I77 North to Va. Take exit 8 - go right to Fancy Gap.

or

take the BlueRidge Parkway to Fancy Gap, VA

We live in Mount Airy NC and have done this many times.

I would take the parkway, but not sure about your big rig.

on edit -

2 weeks ago we took our SIL (son in law) up to Fancy Gap, VA and he rode his bike on the parkway South to Boone, NC where we picked him up at the US421 exit. about 80 miles.

By bike I mean bikecycle - the kind you pump.
Ham radio - WU4S

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
thank you
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
One more idea if you don't want to go back to Statesville on 40. Get back on 40 and get off in Hickory on to US 321 (4 lane). In Lenoir get on NC 18 and take it to 421 then 77. 18 is a great 2 lane road through the country side. When we need to get on 77 north, this is the route we take in our 40' DP, towing.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
421 to 77 FROM BOONE is a great road 4 lanes most/all the way. No issues at all. Done it several times and live nearby. BUT, it would be very difficult to get to Boone from Linville in a big rig. Think you have to go back to 40.

Where you staying in Linville? Didn't know there was anything big rig friendly.

Thanks for the info. We have reservations at the National Park campground in Linville Falls. There are two pull through sites that will hold us. Dry camping but there is a dump near the campground.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
421 to 77 FROM BOONE is a great road 4 lanes most/all the way. No issues at all. Done it several times and live nearby. BUT, it would be very difficult to get to Boone from Linville in a big rig. Think you have to go back to 40.

Hickory, NC

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer

Hickory, NC

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Cant answer your question but wanted to throw in a "side ride" for you in the Fancy Gap area.
58 east past Lovers Leap, just go slow, and then to state rt 8 north a few miles to rt 57 to Fairy Stone State park,
After Fairy Stone backtrack on 57 to again take rt 8 north to return to the BRP around Rocky knob recreation area. Beautiful ride we took a few years ago in a ragtop.
Sending you a pm with links to a couple of sites if you care to check them.
Happy motorin