cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michigan Hwy. 31

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling from Traverse City to the upper peninsula in a few weeks. When I mapquest it, the time for travel is virtually the same for hwy 31 as it is for 75. My question is -- is 31 a good hwy or is it full of lights and small towns? I have a 40' fifth wheel. I'm not opposed to seeing the sights, but i just don't want surprises. Thanks for your knowledge!!
11 REPLIES 11

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! I appreciate your input!

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going from Traverse City to the bridge and obviously you'll want to avoid US31 north of Petoskey, then take M72 from Acme (just east of TC) over toward Kalkaska. From Kalkaska you can take US131 northward about 18 miles or so to a tiny town called Alba. Turn right onto Alba Road (C-42) at the only 4 corners and head east. This road will take you right into Gaylord (and I-75). The bridge is only about a hour north.

C-42 is a nice road with some curves, but I used to live in Gaylord and we took this route very often when heading over the Traverse City. Gaylord will have plenty of places to stop & shop for your travel needs. If you need fuel, stop at the Meijer store right along M-32 west of town. They will have diesel & it will be cheaper there than further north.

Of course you can follow US31 north through Charlevoix and Petoskey to Alanson & the detour. Be warned though, Charlevoix and Petoskey are busy in the summer and traffic slows often. There's a draw bridge in downtown Charlevoix and can back up traffic and downtown Petoskey is quite busy in the summer with traffic backups often.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Skip 31... It was my favorite drive but much of the road is very rough, and like others pointed out it's closed further North.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of nice waterfalls around Munising. Enjoy!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Are you taking in Picture Rock area. If you have never done it the Picture Rock boat tours are nice

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, thank you all for the info. Hornet28: we are going to Munising. We only have a few days, but I'm really looking forward to it!

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for letting us all know.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Us31 is closed at alanson until late fall
The detour is i75.

srflorie
Explorer
Explorer
Last week route 31 was closed north of Alanson and detoured over to I75 at Indian River. Same thing coming back south, there were signs up around Mackinaw City detouring route 31 back down I75 to Indian River and then over to Alanson.
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2006 Maroon HHR2LT
2010 Silver Cadillac SRX

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I'd go 31. There are some nice views along it. But beware as stated week-ends can be crowded as it's 2 lane. The Petoskey area especially can be crowded Where are you headed for in Yooper Land?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled parts of that route. Yes, there are some towns, but some don't have traffic signals, just lower speed limits. Weekend traffic will be worse in the towns along Lake Michigan. Not necessarily a lot of "sight to see".

I think the max speed limit is 55.