cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michigan to Washington DC / Colonial Williamsburg

michigan_buckey
Explorer
Explorer
Our spring break week will be taking us from western Michigan to Washington DC, then to Colonial Williamsburg, and back to Michigan. We'll be staying Cherry Hill RV Park north of DC and American Heritage RV Park for the Williamsburg portion.

1. From MI to DC, we'll be taking I-80, I-76, I-70. Any major concerns with any of these sections?
2. From Cherry Hill RV Park down to Colonial Williamsburg, it looks like (the dreaded) I-95 is the most direct route. Any issues or alternatives? We're also planning to stop at Mt. Vernon in between.
3. From Colonial Williamsburg back to MI, Google Maps is taking us back up to DC and backtracking the same route we came. Does anyone have another suggestion? I'm considering taking I-64 across VA and WV, and then head diagonally across OH back up to MI. It looks like it will add about another hour or two to our trip with this route.
8 REPLIES 8

Beatfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to avoid the PA Turnpike you can take 76 to 79 south and then go east on 68.
Time's sure fun when you're having flies!

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
For your return trip the idea of I-64 to I-81N is a good one, but you should also consider I-64 @ Lexington to Beckley WV, then north on I-77 to I-70 To Columbus then 270 to US 33 to I-75.

The Lexington VA to Beckley is hilly and a very good scenic drive, because you will be traveling "over" the mountains, Beckley to Parkersburg WV (I-77) is less hilly, however you are traveling "on" the ridge of the mountains and from Marietta OH to Cambridge it flattens out until you get to I-70 west where it is flat to Columbus and points north the OH/MI state line.

Good Luck
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Your idea of 64 into WVA is a good one. A nice drive. West of Charleston WVA pick up US 35 into Ohio and US 23 and after that whatever route into MI. If that doesn't work I-64 to I-81 to I-70 to PA Turnpike and follow until wherever you want to go north into MI.

Explorer
Explorer
We have done the trip down from D.C. to Williamsburg many times with no problems. Don't travel during rush hour to and from D.C. to Richmond and you will be fine.

Mount Vernon is just south of D.C. and you really can't avoid 95 there unless you take US 1 which can be just as crowded during rush hour and full of traffic lights. Timing is everything in this area. Weekends are better than weekdays because there is a lot less commuters on the roads to D.C. and Richmond.

To go back to MI, if you want to avoid D.C. completely, take I-64 across to 81 North and take that up to any cross route you like. If you are going by I64 stop at Charlottesville and see Thomas Jefferson's home - Monticello.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume you have a week for the trip, so you may not be able to add too much in. Would agree with the ones who suggest Gettysburg, though it will be a little bit of detour off your route. However, as long as you are in the Williamsburg area, be sure to spend a day visiting Jamestown and Yorktown. The kids will likely find the Jamestown "settlement" more interesting than the actual site - the former is a "living history" park with reconstructed Indian "village," pioneer buildings and ships (full-scale replicas of what the English came over in). Very instructive and fun. The latter is more of an archeological dig. Yorktown is one of the few battlefields that saw action in both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. We did not go to the visitor center there, so can't comment on that, but I was impressed with the construction of the redoubts. Makes history come more alive - as do visiting Williamsburg itself, and the Jamestown settlement.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
You might want to see my post on another thread on this forum (Jacksonville FL to Allentown PA)

I would certainly concur with the suggestion about Gettysburg and add that a visit to Lancaster, PA (area) and the Amish country--if you have not been there before.

I edit to add that I agree most heartily with the suggestion about Montecello. We had a delightful visit there a year ago. We stayed out at the Misty Mountain RV Park which I do recommend.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
You should be ok with 80/76/70 going down. We were at Cherry Hill last year. It was a nice cg, but being so close to major highways, it was a little noisy. If you can, make Old Town Alexandria a part of your trip.
Don't worry about 95. There's not a road in that area that isn't a mess, so it can't be avoided.
Williamsburg is nice, we went ther 2 years ago, including Mt. Vernon.
If you shoot up 64 on the way back, don't miss.Monticello. Jefferson was amazing! We took our TT down 81, stopping in Luray and Monticello on the way to Williamsburg and had no problems.

Another alternative for the way back, depending on how much time you have, is to go up 15 and visit Gettysburg. Now That's worth the trip!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I have no suggestions. Going to DC also for a spring break, but on a Delta jet from DTW to BWI. Ninety minute flight 🙂
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed