cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Montana... Highway 2 to Glacier?

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
How's Highway 2 from Sandpoint (we'll actually be in a TT part in Newport, Wa...

Is it okay for 40footer with tow?
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR
9 REPLIES 9

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US2 east of Glacier is quite a different highway from that to the west. In the east it is relatively straight and flat. To the west it follows rivers through mountain valleys. Towns might even be larger, though I'd have to check the map on that.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't 2 in Montana the route with all the little crosses on the side of the road from accidents? Still recall those! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
A variation on US2 from Sandpoint is ID/MT 200 to US93, and north. Or cut off a corner with MT212.

Either way is relatively flat, staying in major valleys. All of this is on the west side of the Rockies.

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure 2 stops in Michigan and starts up again in New York - to Maine
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 2 across all the states is a beautiful drive with a RV.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do it with our dually crew and 38' fiver. No problem but depending on the time of year be alert for wildlife crossing. Most Town Pump stations have free dump stations also, very RV friendly.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chiefelectusn wrote:
Hwy. 2 goes all the way to Washington!

It goes coast to coast for that matter. I dips down below GNP and actually goes thru West Glacier. But it does not go to St Mary's on the east side.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy. 2 goes all the way to Washington!
It follows the southern end of Glacier NP. Lots of interesting places outside the park both east and west side.

I've travelled Hwy 2, otherwise known as the "Highline" in my 40' with tow several times. Both east and west of GlacierNP, No problem.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the OP write a message or just depend on the subject line.

We took 2 west from central ND to Glacier and enjoyed the trip except for the rock truck which shed some rocks and broke out the driver side window or our then F150. But the rest of the trip went well. There is a major lack of camping spots on the road and cell phone signals only exist is the widely spaced towns. We enjoyed the flat scenery and the spectacular skies. I guess it is the southern end of the Canadian Plains in Alberta that we drove thru later on our way to Banff.

Hwy 2 does not go all the way to Glacier tho, you'll have to switch to US 89 when you get close.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper