cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Canadian currency melts?

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
I went to local bank today to exchange U.S. currency for Canadian for our upcoming RV trip through Canada to Alaska. As I was preparing to exit the bank, the teller mentioned to me NOT to leave the new Canadian currency in the glove box of a vehicle or a hot camper because it was made of plastic and it would melt and that would render it unusable and of ZERO value.

Just what I need is a fist full of useless plastic! :E Is it true that these new Canadian bills will melt in hot environments and have any of my fellow RVers had issues with them?

Lakeside
47 REPLIES 47

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
These notes have been used in Europe and Australia for years. They aren't new.

Technology developed in Australia, then sold to other countries

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
AKsilvereagle wrote:
I just checked my 11 $100 plastic Canadian bills left in my camper from last year as they are intact and not melted -whew- , now I can plan on spending a few of them starting in Dawson City within a couple days.

Where did you say your rig is parked ๐Ÿ™‚
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a public service, I will store and caretake your Canadian currency, here in the cooler temps of Canada's far north.

Please send without a self-addressed stamped envelope.

And to preserve your privacy and ensure I don't sell you personal data, please don't tell me who you are.

Sue, that post looks like one of those typical automated Nigerian email scams a lot of RV.Net members seem to get when they post their spam messages they receive under the campfire ๐Ÿ™‚

That was funny LOL.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just checked my 11 $100 plastic Canadian bills left in my camper from last year as they are intact and not melted -whew- , now I can plan on spending a few of them starting in Dawson City within a couple days.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
As a public service, I will store and caretake your Canadian currency, here in the cooler temps of Canada's far north.

And to preserve your privacy and ensure I don't sell you personal data, please don't tell me who you are.

:B

Love it Sue ,best answer of the day.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
We always tell people on here to buy their Canadian currency when they actually get to Canada, as there is much more currency exchanged in Canada and normally the rates are better.
As a matter of interest, what rate did you actually pay?
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer

And to preserve your privacy and ensure I don't sell your personal data, please don't tell me who you are.

:B
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, OPer here. Thank you so much for correcting the misinformation I received at my bank. RV.net members are truly informed and thankfully, willing to share! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lakeside

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
On another note you can have one in your pocket and go for a swim. It will be the exact same after. Try that with paper.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
Put a Loonie or Toonie in your pocket at 246 F and you will be dancing a jig.........lol

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Absolute nonsense, I keep a small amount of both Canadian and US bills in my truck for emergencies (less than $50 usually for wondering!) and have never had any of the new Cdn bills 'melt'.

Someone is spinning a tall tail. :E

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
rwbradley wrote:
There is also an urban myth going around that it will crack and splinter if you take it out in the extreme cold but I have never had any issues.

There is also an urban myth that if you slam a toonie on the ground hard enough the gold center part will pop out of the silver outer ring. Tried that one as well with no luck.

I never heard of a toonie before. Now, I know what it is.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
These notes have been used in Europe and Australia for years. They aren't new.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
There is also an urban myth going around that it will crack and splinter if you take it out in the extreme cold but I have never had any issues.

There is also an urban myth that if you slam a toonie on the ground hard enough the gold center part will pop out of the silver outer ring. Tried that one as well with no luck.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
I find 246'F quite high, which is the temperature too which the notes were tested.

Appears to me to be another URBAN MYTH!

A paper (cotton) note would not survive the 246'F. torture test, never mind boiling etc.!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.